Question

Honor Student
Kolache
Message 1 of 8 (1,875 Views)
Accepted Solution

Standby Mode not working

PC is Pavilion a1220n. I recently upgraded from it WinXP Home Edition to WinXP x64 via new install. Everything is working EXCEPT I cannot go into standby mode.

When selecting standby, either from the keyboard sleep button or from the Start menu the PC displays the "entering standby" screen and then the monitor goes blank. At this time the power LED should be flashing; it does not, it stays on solid, and the keyboard and mouse are dead. The only way to recover is to force a power-off.

Is there something simple I am missing or ???

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 8 (1,874 Views)

Re: Standby Mode not working

Did you update the chipset drivers to 64-bit after you installed the 64-bit OS?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=1765&OSFullName=Windows*+...

Honor Student
Kolache
Message 3 of 8 (1,853 Views)

...update the drivers... (duh).

I followed your link, downloaded and installed the drivers, but, ...no joy.

Symptoms still the same.

Professor
1badGuard
Message 4 of 8 (1,852 Views)

I assume you did not update them the first time? (duh)?:smileyvery-happy:

Have you read this article?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07147&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1130585

Honor Student
Kolache
Message 5 of 8 (1,824 Views)

Yes, I read the article (thanks) and tried some of the suggestions, but no help.

The BIOS is version 3.22; I downloaded the most recent version (3.28) from the HP website (sp26760) but it does not update the BIOS. I get this error message:
"Unable to update BIOS (16)"

Any ideas on this one?

Professor
1badGuard
Message 6 of 8 (1,819 Views)

[ Edited ]

That's because your bios is set to work for Windows XP 32-bit. You might try reinstalling the original OS and update the bios then reinstall the 64-bit version. I really think the whole problem is the 64-bit XP.

This was posted by another user. It's from Intel.

"64-bit computing on Intel® architecture requires a computer system with a processor, chipset, BIOS, operating system, device drivers and applications enabled for Intel® 64 architecture. Processors will not operate (including 32-bit operation) without an Intel 64 architecture-enabled BIOS. Performance will vary depending on your hardware and software configurations."

Message Edited by dmhoo29 on 05-03-2009 04:52 AM
Student
ellisr
Message 7 of 8 (394 Views)

i updated to widows home prem and my sleep mode has not worked since tried to download intel express chipset graphic drive update all iget is system does not meet requirements error 9998 can anyone help thanks 

Honor Student
Kolache
Message 8 of 8 (377 Views)

The problem has been solved; sorry I did not get back to you.

Reading through the manual that came with the mainboard I came across two 3-pin jumpers, labeled JUSBV1 and JUSBV2.

The default position was labeled "+5V for USB ports at ..." and the other position was labeled "+5V STB for USB ports at ..."

There was no explanation as to what these jumpers did, and I could find no info on the mainboard's website.

I wondered, could "STB" mean standby? I switched the jumpers and the PC started up with no problems. The mouse still does not bring the PC out of standby(still no power)  BUT the keyboard now has power during standby, and so I can wake up the PC via the keyboard, which is good enough for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation