Question

Honor Student
Jessica418
Message 1 of 7 (2,946 Views)

System Memory Dump Vista

Hi

I have a HP M8200n Desktop Media Center with Windows Vista.  Ive had the computer for 2 1/2 years.  I mainly use it for music and photo's.  2 days in a row and at random (1 time on 5/20 and 3 times on 5/22)my computer will suddenly freeze up and then a blue screen pops up and tells me I have a System Memory Dump.  on 5/22 it did the blue screen but tried to restart itself and the monitor did not come on and my tower did a beeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppp and then 5 seconds later did a beeeeeeep beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp.  I turned it off andtried to get it to come on but it would do nothing but beeeeeeppppp beeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppp.  I turned it off a 3rd time and left it for about 20 minutes.  I turned it back on and then I had it to start windows normally and so far its doing ok. Ive been online for 15 minutes,

Any suggestions as to what I need to do in order to fix it.  

btww I did run a virus scan and nothing was out of the ordinary and am now running  Windows Defender. 

Any Help would be so appreciated

thanks

Jessica

Teacher
anon
Message 2 of 7 (2,938 Views)

Re: System Memory Dump Vista

Memory error. That's what it sounds like. Either run memtest, or press F8 continually after power on, and from the advanced options select memory test. You may have to press tab to access it. The error may be caused by either a physical error in the memory or overheating; try cleaning out the case. Carefully, using canned air if possible. Also try swapping out one or the other of the memory sticks (do not try if you have 1 stick or 1GB or less of memory). Find memtest 86 here.
Teacher
anon
Message 3 of 7 (2,937 Views)

Sorry, found THIS HP document on 'reducing heat inside the computer.' See if this helps.
Honor Student
Jessica418
Message 4 of 7 (2,909 Views)

Hey Anon Thanks for replying to my question. 

When I turned the computer on this morning it gave me the blue screen as I was trying to read your post.  I had to turn it off and back on and read your post.

I didnt know which of the memtast86 I was to download but through the HP article you posted I found the hardware and diagnostics on my computer and through that did a full diagnostic scan of everything on my computer.  It says I passed on anything and there was nothing wrong with anything including memory.  So then I took and removed programs I wasnt using and then turned off the puter and open the case and dust it out around the fans.  So far I've been online for about 15 minutes and the bluescreen hasnt showed.  I'll have to wait and see if its gonna do the blue screen system memory dump thing again. If not then i'll mark it as solved and you will be my new best friend lol..

Thanks Again

Jessica

Honor Student
DonnieJ99
Message 5 of 7 (2,351 Views)

Have you found a solution to your problem?  If not I have the exact same computer system as you have.  Guess what?  Exact problem lasted two months.  Struggling everyday to get the thing to start and stay workable.  Finally decided to take the memory sticks out and take to a computer store to have them checked.  Of course they wanted the whole computer to do this.   Walked out.  Went home replaced the mem. sticks into mother board, noticing that

they seemed to go in and click with a different feel than when I removed them.  They did seem to come out of the slots very easy.  Plugged everything back in replaced CPU grease after cleaning old grease off both, on cpu chip and heat sink, since I had to remove heat sink to get to mem. slots.  Turned computer on when ready, got the" windows did not shut down properly" screen chose "start windows normally " .   Everything works fine so far.  Two days in a row.  I have no idea how the got loose in their slots, but these things happen mysteriously.  But I believe this is what caused the blue mem. screen 

dumps and the beep code which pointed to a memory problem.  If you still have this and do not have good inside the computer skills let me know I will guide you step by step on how to stop the problem.  It should work.  btw my computer will be two years in service in January 2010. dmc

Honor Student
Jessica418
Message 6 of 7 (2,339 Views)

Hi DonnieJ99, 

I still get random memory dumps screens.  Its been about 2 weeks since my last one.  I didnt get the beeps that time though like I did when this first started happening.  I did when this had started happening take the memory sticks out and put them back in and cleaned the fans. I still dont know exactly what is causing it because when I run daignostics it always says everything is 100%. Sooo I just backup my photo's and music and hope this computer will last and not die on me.  

I love this computer though.  But after seeing other people that bought there's about the same time as I bought mine it makes me not want to go with HP anymore. 

Jessica

Honor Student
maria_macie
Message 7 of 7 (1,539 Views)

i have windows vista also.and i am having issues with random memory dumps i defrag everyday have virus control and dont have many softwares on my computer i have done everything showen above so far exsept take it apart and clean it..that sounds not so smart for one that may not know what they are doing..can some one please tell me how to prevent this from continuing

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation