Question

Tutor
yanger
Message 1 of 17 (2,181 Views)

Warn: Windows 7 + 195.62 nvidia driver on HP S5120Y causes colored screen of death...

Just a warning, so far it's the only thing I can see causing my issues..

following the HP Upgrade Advisor failed on my PC, had to do a clean install (wipe) to get Windows 7 installed correctly, after it was installed, went straight to nvidia's site to get this update 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_english_whql [filename, at this time, was the most recent version per nvidia's detection tool] which caused intermittant colored screen of death, stacked rectangles it looked like parts of the display and system froze. hard boot cleared it for a bit, but would come back again. uninstalling the nfoce drivers directly from nvidia's site has seemed to alleviate the issue, but i won't be trying it again. i WILL try the nvidia drivers supplied on the HP website though, and will notify if that has any issues... if anyone's had this issue, or know what I am talking about, let us know here. :smileyhappy: I wouldn't mind the most recent nvidia drivers, but stability is kinda a requirement at this time :smileyhappy:

Intern
labchic2000
Message 2 of 17 (2,136 Views)

Re: Warn: Windows 7 + 195.62 nvidia driver on HP S5120Y causes colored screen of death...

I posted a few weeks back...here's  link to my post if you want to try what I did (to no avail)

When I emailed support they said I should send it in because the mother board is corrupt.  I don't think that's the problem either however so I haven't shipped it yet.

BTW, I had this problem before my upgrade to windows 7, so I don't think the os is the issue.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/pavillion-s5120f-freezes/td-p/177525

Tutor
yanger
Message 3 of 17 (2,125 Views)

Re: Warn: s5120y crashing .. DOA?

[ Edited ]

Ok, downgraded and still happening.. will be placing a service call soon i think... yep.. sorry i must of missed your post, but same issue..

issue

.. and the best thing is, I wasn't doing anything really... it went to sleep mode a few times, and i moved the mouse to activate it again, the third time, it just gave up. I have patched as spec'd in the link from labchic2000, and it seems to be the same issue [assuming s5120 series are all similar to each other since both have the similar hardware specs, and are having the same issue...]

Tutor
yanger
Message 4 of 17 (2,117 Views)

definately not a CPU overheatting issue... ran CoreTemp from http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ and they are minimal temps...

coretemp

also have logs from Windows 7 ... may not help, as they just state that it's bad to reboot without safely shutting down,  they do give us a link, but the link is no good: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/SearchResults.aspx?Type=1&Fallback=1&Source=Microsoft-Wi...

here's the logs zipped: error-logs.zip

Tutor
yanger
Message 5 of 17 (2,068 Views)

[ Edited ]

Doing some more testing, i found that as long as you don't log in, [windows 7] it won't crash. going to mod some settings - it could be the way windows turns off the hard drives or something or still graphics card/driver related... odd that it won't log it though either when it crashes (nor can it recover and show a bsod).... currently enabled by default is: Aero theme [will go to a standard theme], 10 minutes monitor power off [which can be annoying if it crashes - you can't see nothing then], and hard drive turns off after 20 minutes [i've heard turning off the hdd can be really bad, why do they enable this option?]

Tutor
yanger
Message 6 of 17 (2,030 Views)

Re: Warn: s5120y crashing .. with WINDOWS 7, Vista is PASS

Ok, all in the past post, i did, and it still crashed. I downgraded back to Factory OEM w Vista.

Ran updates, installed software, watched some videos, youtubed, ran the HP advisor, all went well for the first 6 hours of the day. I'm beginning to think something from Windows 7 was causing the issue. I did not install anything else into windows 7 as it was a clean reinstall, did the following KBs and installed EASEUS Todo Backup [Win 7 compatible]

sp44353, 44351, 44350, 44352, 44407, 44404, 44429, 44455 [failed installation though], 44409 [did not want me to install it], 44459, 44620 [was recommended in forums], 44447, 44482, 44490, 44431, 44357, and 44411

EASEUS Todo Backup was v1.1 and successfully worked [tested].

Who would I contact in finding a way to diagnose the main issue in Win7 which is causing the issue? As before, the longest I could get something done on there was approx. 4 hours before it crashed, or if it idle'd on the logon screen, or fell into sleep mode [with less than 15 minutes used before it fell to sleep]

thanks!

Tutor
yanger
Message 7 of 17 (2,026 Views)

C$@P... There goes my idea. same screen of death occured about 7 hours in.... i'm out of luck i think. might be bad hardware...

Intern
labchic2000
Message 8 of 17 (2,030 Views)

yeah Im inclined to think so too...I dont think its a windows 7 thing because I had it happen when we were running vista before I upgraded.

We havent crashed in 2 days though, and its been cooler in here, this is why Im still inclined to think its a temperature thing.

heres the rely from HP support when I emailed them:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care. My name is (removed) I'm from the Desktop E-mail support team.

I understand from your email that the HP Pavilion Slimline s5120f Desktop PC locks up and freezes with a screen.

I am glad that you have forwarded your concerns. I will certainly assist you in this regard.  I would like to inform you that this issue might be due to corrupt of graphics card that is installed onboard on your PC. Hence, the Motherboard has to be replaced and we can set up a bench-repair for your system. In the bench repair the HP technicians will diagnose the computer and will make the necessary repair and replacements. The shipping and repair of your PC will typically take 7 to 10 business days to complete.

looks like this is where I'm headed <sigh>

Tutor
yanger
Message 9 of 17 (2,017 Views)

Re: Warn: s5120y crashing .. with WINDOWS 7, Vista is FAIL

[ Edited ]

After chatting with the HP Rep, and figuring that they can't click on links for some reason, [nor do they know about these forums, I think] and explaining to my best, what the screen looks like [rectangle bitmaps of a random area of the screen, about 60x12 pixels repeating endlessly throughout the screen, not a BSOD [blue screen of death] as there's no logs nor does the KERNEL detect a crash, but the kernel did pick up that i didn't power it off correctly *i wonder why* the service rep started a CSO to be sent to a HP facility for review and diagnosis. 7-9 days.. free shipping (you gotta wait for the box to be shipped, gee), and they will review the unit.

Hopefully this goes well, not like some of the other crashing PCs I am reading in this forum about and which a lime returned with another lime with another lime... etc... (*praying* :smileytongue:)

thanks all, especially labchic2000, as i think it's either overheating like you were stating - either on the CPU, or the GPU, or the GPU itself is the cause of the issue..

Oh, I will get back to you all after they've resolve my issue... hopefully good :smileyhappy:

Intern
labchic2000
Message 10 of 17 (1,996 Views)

Re: Warn: s5120y crashing .. with WINDOWS 7, Vista is FAIL

yes, let me know and good luck!!  I don't plan on sending mine in until I can afford to upgrade the ram in my old beater pc (last time I did that I broke the clip and knocked the heatsink off lol...but managed to get the old ram sticks back in and glued the heatsink clips back on and reseated it and it works...just super slow...it is 8 years old afterall).

Anyway, if you find something else that works let me know also,  I will keep trying to avoid sending it in...I really think that if the motherboard was bad I wouldnt be going sometimes 3-4 days without a crash. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation