Websites won't save in history (600 Views)
Tutor
kessafan
Message 1 of 10 (600 Views)
Accepted Solution

Websites won't save in history

Hi,  I've owned my new computer for roughly 3 or 4 months now but the other day my computer stopped saving history of wesites visited.  Not all, but most.  If I go to a new site, it will save the initial page but won't save any consequetive pages on that site.  It saves documents opened etc.... 
My computer is a HP Model p6731a
I'm using windows 7 SP1 IE9.
I've already checked in Internet Options and the 'Delete Browsing History on Exit' button is UNchecked.
Any help would be appreciated.
Sandy
Provost
erico
Message 2 of 10 (594 Views)

Re: Websites won't save in history

Try resetting your browser back to how it was when it was first installed.

You may also consider running Windows's system file checker..

How to reset Internet Explorer 9 setting in Internet Explorer 9

Using the system file checker in Windows

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
kessafan
Message 3 of 10 (590 Views)

Hi Erico,

I can't do a file checker as the computer already had windows loaded when I bought it so I don't have the disk...  It looks like I'll have to reset.  By not checking the 'Delete Personal Settings' box, will I be able to keep the history that's already there?

Sandy

Tutor
kessafan
Message 4 of 10 (588 Views)

Also, the bar that normally comes up at the bottom of the screen that says, 'Website found. Waiting for reply...' well that bar no longer comes up.
Provost
erico
Message 5 of 10 (584 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can do the system file check.  The only reason you would need the Windows installation disk is if your installation is in such baad shape that it needs reinstallation. 

Try it. It works.

If you don't check delete personal settings it should keep the history but that is not guaranteed. I recommend that you backup your favorites so you can import them later.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Tutor
kessafan
Message 6 of 10 (579 Views)

Hi Erico,

Well, the file checker turn up nothing...   So it looks like I'll be doing a reset.   Doing that won't change any other files like 'Documents' etc, will it?

Sandy

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 10 (573 Views)

Hi Sandy,

The Internet Explorer reset will only affect the settings in your Internet Explorer 9 browser. 

Tutor
kessafan
Message 8 of 10 (564 Views)

Okay....  Well, even the reset didn't work....  Still won't save in history.   Well it is, but not all the time.   Sometimes it will save a site but only the first page and nothing after that but then there will be ones like this site (right now) that hasn't been saved at all...  I'm at a loss... 

Tutor
kessafan
Message 9 of 10 (556 Views)

Hi again, Well.... you'll never guess what!  After everything I've done to fix this, I did another search on the net for possible fixes and I read where someone changed some of the settings in the 'Internet Options' part...

Where the disk space was normally at 250, I changed it to 251 and the 'Days saved' part which was set at 20, I reset to 30.... I closed all Explorer windows that were open and then reopened one... and VIOLA! I'm working again! :womanvery-happy:

I have no idea what the problem was, but it's all working now.
Thanks again for all your help and I hope that if someone else has this problem, my fix will help them too!

Sandy

Provost
erico
Message 10 of 10 (553 Views)

Fantastic. Great job!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation