Question

Student
Davehtx
Message 1 of 4 (6,304 Views)

Why does my computer say "Detecting Arrays ..."? Is my Hard drive dead?

A couple of months ago I had a new drive installed and had all the data transferred from the old one to the new one. Everything worked perfectly until a few days ago.  Everytime I boot up my computer, it will go to a black screen with the text, "Detecting arrays ..." and it will just sit there forever.  Sometimes when i power up the computer it will go to a blue screen with options to go to bios, system recovery, etc.  It will also sit there forever until I press F2 and then it will go into bios.

If I do go into bios, I notice both of my dvd drives show up but no hard drive is showing.  By the way, my hard drive is is connected via IDE and both of my dvd drives are connected via SATA.

I noticed removing the hard drive and the computer boots faster and quickly detects my dvd drives and If i have a bootbale cd it will start reading it.  But this won't happen when I reattach the hard drive even though i have cd as the first boot device in bios.

I also used attached another hard drive and it was detected in bios.

I was told by a friend to disable raid in bios but there are no options for raid.

Tutor
Sherox
Message 2 of 4 (6,298 Views)

Re: Why does my computer say "Detecting Arrays ..."? Is my Hard drive dead?

hmmmm - with IDE you have jumpers and cables to deal with...that is Jumpers on the Hard drive that denote if the hard drive is a slave or a master or it can be set to cable select. That is where cable comes into play. You have a master and slave on your cable as well and should be listed there.

If you have both HDD in the system make sure one is master and the other is slave. And make sure the one you want to boot with is the master :smileywink:

I'd recommend getting a new SATA hard drive...no need for jumpers and stuff...

if the jumpers and cables are ok...you may have a dead hard drive. or cable...

good luck

sherox

Tutor
Sherox
Message 3 of 4 (6,297 Views)

[ Edited ]

oh...one more thing...the RAID configuration utility is not in BIOS...if you have one it will be a key sequence like CTRL+I or something to get into it, and it will flash on the screen right after the blue BIOS screen goes away.

sherox

Student
shady2009
Message 4 of 4 (5,337 Views)

I had the same problem. I tried several different things, keeping track and undoing what I did if it didn't work. After 2 weeks, I am very happy to say "I did it".  F10 after turning on the computer to enter setup. In Boot I Enabled Boot-time diagnostic screen. saved & exit.  Sound easy OMG! Hope it's that easy for you.  Good Luck. I just realized the date on that post is July 2011, oh well maybe this info will help someone else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation