Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi
I own a HP Pavilion Elite HPE-030sc system. This one have the MSI MS-7613 motherboard with Intel P55 Express Chipset.
The OS is Windows 7 64bit.

I want to change the data disk (the second disk) with a new Seagate 4TB hard drive. Original there are 2 750GB drives in it. The original boot disk stays there, so no problem with the BIOS.

What works: Boots fine. DiskPart - clear - GPT - add primary partition - yes got my 4TB partition.
What dose not work: Format drive (NTFS)

When I start the format, it runs for some time (5-10 minutes), the the PC reboots. Sometimes it gives a blue screen for 2 seconds.
I have tried to format via Disk Management and via DiskPart. Also boot to Safe Mode and did the format, but same problem.

Please help me....

I'm on the latest official BIOS version for this system.
But are there any separate firmware update for the SATA controller?
That will be part of the P55 chipset, right?

regards Georg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did find a solution to this problem.

Just go to intel.com and download a newer "intel rapid storage driver".

I did not take the lastest ver. 13.xxxx

Read on some wiki that my chipset was not supportet.

So just go for the ver. 12.9.0.1001.

And Wupti, all 4GB was there, and quict format took only short time as expected.

The WRONG answer you give me, and point to the MS site, is if the disk should be the boot disk.
But please read my Q. I want this to be at DataDisk only. And Win7 fully support this. So when when jus the the OS is booted, there is no councern about BIOS.

/Georg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Your PC was first introduced by HP in 2009 and most likely does not have UEFI BIOS. You have MBR partitioning. You need GPT to exceed 2.2 TB limit for accessing HDD's greater than 2.2 TB.

I think you will have to create two 2TB partitions to use the 4TB HDD. Or convert the disk to GPT for use as one data drive. Conversion instructions are in the Microsoft link below. The boot drive cannot be converted to GPT.

Please see here for more info on MBR vs GPT.

Please see below:

This information is from a Windows Support site found here.

HDD Size.PNG

Jaco

****I am not an HP employee****

Please give a" Kudos, Thumbs Up" if advice received is relevant or" Accept as Solution" to assist other forum users having a similar problem.

HP Products:
810-150se Desktop (Win 8.1)
17t-j000 Notebook (Win 8 upgraded to Win 8.1)
H8 1380t CTO Desktop (Win 7)
560z Desktop (Win 7)

Other PC's:
Dell Inspiron Notebook (Win XP upgraded to Win 7)
Custom build: (Win XP upgraded to Win 7)

HP Recommended

I did find a solution to this problem.

Just go to intel.com and download a newer "intel rapid storage driver".

I did not take the lastest ver. 13.xxxx

Read on some wiki that my chipset was not supportet.

So just go for the ver. 12.9.0.1001.

And Wupti, all 4GB was there, and quict format took only short time as expected.

The WRONG answer you give me, and point to the MS site, is if the disk should be the boot disk.
But please read my Q. I want this to be at DataDisk only. And Win7 fully support this. So when when jus the the OS is booted, there is no councern about BIOS.

/Georg

HP Recommended

If you go to the HP Driver download, they still only offer  Version 9.6.0.1014 from 2010-06-30

/Georg

HP Recommended

Hi,

Good to hear you solved the problem.

Happy Computing!

Jaco

HP Recommended

F...  just did the Windows 10 upgrade.
And after the upgrade, a lot of errors on the 4TB 😧 drive ... aghhh
Have I lost my files!!!
Did ChkDsk and other scan tools. Fighting for 1½ day...

Ahh, then old me finally thought about this driver fix.
So after my morning coffee, I checked the driver for "IDE ATA/ATAPI-controller" (iaStorA.sys) and it WAS back to v9 something ... greee

Why windows upgrade did not bring this higher driver up to the new Win10.
Was soooo close to reformat the drive... glad I remember this driver issue.
I guess a bunch of other windows users (with TB harddisk) have this problem too.

/Georg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.