Question

Honor Student
Jcan
Message 1 of 2 (154 Views)

a6518f Pavilion unable to boot up without error messages or asking to insert boot disk

My HP a6518f Pavilion running Vista 32-bit has stopped starting up properly. I install software from time to time, though I am not sure what software might be causing the problem. ( However, I seem to have had more trouble since I downloaded a zip file opening program) 

When I start up my computer, I am lucky to receive a blue screen that reads ...

" Driver_IRQL_NOT_less_OR _Equal

If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Make sure any new hardware or software is properly

installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware

or software manufacturer for any Windows updates

you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly

included hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory

options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable

components restart your computer, press F8 to select

advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode."  

I have gotten the above screen a few times.

I really have no idea how to do any of the above. I do not know what software

might be causing my trouble, I am not sure how to disable BIOS memory etc. ,

though I have managed to select Safe Mode.              

My current problem is on top of other accumulating problems I have had with this computer.

When I ran a computer diagnostics on it, there was a problem with the hard drive (an error about

the  Smart something). I have received warnings (yellow exclamations marks for some of the Windows drivers, when I tried to update them they would not update.

My computer is often unable to go through the startup cycle without asking me to insert the boot disk.

Sometimes when I am able to get a clean startup, the computer is able to work for a while without trouble, though this has become increasingly infrequent.  

I am very unsure what to do. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

Teacher
davida_spac
Message 2 of 2 (146 Views)

Re: a6518f Pavilion unable to boot up without error messages or asking to insert boot disk

Hi Jcan, normally 'smart' errors encountered means that the HDD is going to fail soon - you should immediately backup your work, create your recovery discs, replace the hdd (and at the same time blow all the dust out of your system) and recover the unit.

You should be aware that the newer AF HDD's may not suit this system, you should purchase the older type HDD that will support 32bit OS's.

regards davida
"Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation