Question

Top Student
novideo
Message 1 of 20 (2,471 Views)

computer turns on, monitor doesnt

im helping a friend who owns a hp a6300f bundle, he's had it for 2 years.

the problem is that the computer will power on, the lights all act as normal, the fans all spin, and everything appears to be in working order, but the nothing is displayed on the monitor except a "no signal" error, then the monitor goes to sleep.

Symptoms:

-power light is blue, normal

-fans all spin,even new pci-e x16 video card fan spins

-disk drive "grunts" as if trying to find a disk when none is present

-keyboard lights up and caps,scroll,num lock lights turn on and off appropriately

-usb optical mouse DOES NOT light up

I Have Tried:

-power cycling/power clearing on pc and monitor

-using 3 different monitors, all 3 act the same with hp pc

-connecting my pc to his monitor, monitor works with my (dell) pc

-4 different mice, 3 usb, 1 regular, 3 used/old mice, 1 brand new usb mouse, all work on other pc's

-resetting/removing CMOS battery/jumper

-removing/cleaning both ram cards

-using an alternative PSU, his power supply worked in my dell, but mine acted like his, in his HP.

-removing and reconnecting all devices (hdd, dvd drive, cards, ram, etc.)

-using pencil eraser to clean all contacts, on all cards including ram

-purchase and install NEW pci-e x16 video card (PNY GeForce 9400 GT 1GB PCIe Graphics Card) fan spins, no display

-booting with bare essentials attached (PSU, mobo, hdd, ram, monitor, keyboard and mouse)

-booting with each essential removed, and put back one at a time until all parts fully connected, same results in all cases

-booting with windows boot/install cd

Things I Have Yet To Try:

-replacing ram cards, ordered some, still waiting for delivery

-replacing mobo components (fans,cpu, gpu, capacitors,etc)

-removing/replacing the mobo

Computer Specs:

Hp Pavilion

2gb ddr2 ram

500gb sata hdd

1x sata dvd drive/burner

Windows Vista

he ended up buying a new computer after i tried the above mentioned remedies with no effect, against my advice he bought another hp.

the new Hp is model # p6204y, i tried to acces the hdd from the A6300f on the new p6204y, but it could not be accessed. the old hdd drive installed properly, has located and identified by the bios and the operating system, but when i check the disk manager it does not show up as healthy or even as being online. it does appear in the disk manager but can not be accessed.

the new pc has windows 7 home premium, the old hdd has important data that must be recovered, as well as a vista OS.

What I Need:

is a solution to either:

A) how to repair a6300f, so that the monitor will display anything at all (post, splash, etc, anything really)

or

B) how to gain access to second sata hdd in windows 7 environment (im sure the issue is win 7 related, because all similar issues on web-based help sites are due to problems with vista & 7)

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 20 (2,461 Views)

Re: computer turns on, monitor doesnt

[ Edited ]

Of course you tried a new video cable?

Of course you can't do the below without a monitor.  There is a way to get the default bios back to load but I don't have the specifics for you system.

Check in the bios and see if your Primary Video Adapter is set to the correct slot if that is selectable.

Try reflashing your bios.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Top Student
novideo
Message 3 of 20 (2,451 Views)

i tried three different monitors, one with built in cable, and two others, each with their own cable, i also tried using the dvi out put with a dvi cable.

i would love to check the bios... but nothing appears on screen at all.

i am moving away from video card error and more toward a posting problem, however i havent ruled anything out yet.

i do appreaciate any and all suggestions, this one has got me quite stumped, and without even the bios screens i really cant do much software wise anyway. im trying to just get the hard ware to comply in any way, a beep or any thing would be great at this point.

i have ordered a mobo post tester and am going to try that, but any thing you can suggest will be appreaciated in the meantime

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 4 of 20 (2,449 Views)

[ Edited ]

Look in the support area for your model and see if you can find the motherboard pictures.  You might get lucky and see some jumpers that you can move to reset your bios back to the original.

Try this link;

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01357119&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 5 of 20 (2,443 Views)

[ Edited ]

You may have a bad power suppy.  I have moved HDs from one system to another and I haven't had a problem.  Does disk management show that old HD as a GPT Protected Partition?

Did you try switching usb ports between the keyboard and mouse?  Does the mouse still not light up?

HP Touchpad
Provost
Big_Dave
Message 6 of 20 (2,422 Views)

[ Edited ]

Do you hear any beeps during the power up boot process?

Your keyboard lights up but not the mouse is interesting. And you tried a usb mouse (without an adaper?) and that doesn't light either?

HP Touchpad
Top Student
novideo
Message 7 of 20 (2,394 Views)

[ Edited ]

1)Look in the support area for your model and see if you can find the motherboard pictures.  You might get lucky and see some jumpers that you can move to reset your bios back to the original.

[quote=novideo]

I Have Tried:

-resetting/removing CMOS battery/jumper[\quote]

i have tried both using the jumper to reset the bios as well as removing the battery for upto one hour, in order to reset bios.

2)You may have a bad power suppy.  I have moved HDs from one system to another and I haven't had a problem.  Does disk management show that old HD as a GPT Protected Partition?

to be clear here, i am working with three computers:

1) hp pavillion a6300f - this is my friend's computer with the "no display" issue

2) dell dimension b110 - this is an extra computer of mine, fully operational

3) hp pavillion p6204y - this is the brand new pc, my friend purchased, to replace the failing a6300f

i have already swapped out the power supply from the problematic a6300f and used it to power up my old, fully functional dell, the dell powered on and operated fully for over an hour before i disconnected it.

when i tried plugging in my dell's power supply into the problematic a6300f, the a6300f still had the same "no display" issue.

as for the hard drive, i tried plugging in the hard drive from the problematic a6300f into the brand new p6204y, (in order to try to salvage the data from it) and it will appear in the disk manager, but it appears as offline, the brand new p6204y just wont access it.

the new p6204y equiped with windows 7 home recoginizes the hdd from the problematic a6300f, automatically and properly installs the driver for the problematic a6300f's hdd. 

when i check the properties in the device manager, it claims that the problematic a6300f's hdd is working properly in the brand new, windows 7 equipped p6204y.

i've checked for solutions on the web to this hdd issue and they all point thier finger in the same direction, windows 7!!

i have ordered a pci sata card so i can grab the info off the problematic a6300f's hdd, through my windows xp based dell, the hdd data extraction is no longer an issue, since i have isolated that problem to be a fundamental error in windows 7, and will be working through windows xp or ubuntu in order to extract that data. 

3)Did you try switching usb ports between the keyboard and mouse?  Does the mouse still not light up?

i have tried about 15 different keyboards and mice and every combination, i have used just traditional plug in kb and mouse, just usb kb and mouse, using usb kb and mouse with adapters for traditional pin connections, using a mix of usb and pin connected devices, using everyone of the 6 usb ports on the machine. 

everytime i get the exact same results, the keyboard appears to be working, the num/caps/scroll lock lights respond appropriatelly when buttons are pressed, and the mouse appears to not be working at all, although all of the keyboards and mice work 100% when connected to my dell or the brand new p6204y.

4) Do you hear any beeps during the power up boot process?

No, but the system never beeped on start up.

5) Your keyboard lights up but not the mouse is interesting. And you tried a usb mouse (without an adaper?) and that doesn't light either?

refer to answer #3

let me say i greatly appreaciate any assistance given to me, but this issue is beyond the traditional trouble shooting techniques, as i have illastrated through the tests that i have already performed.

i have already performed extensive testing and troubleshooting, and i have tried the majority of the simpler tests.

please if you have any advice, please take the time to read over the "I Have Tried" section of my original post and give me the benefit of assuming i am not brand new to trouble shooting electronics, i am hear looking for very advanced trouble shooting techniques for a problem i see all over the web, but has almost never been addressed.

most sites point to one of three problems 1. power supply, 2. ram, 3. fried mobo. but none of the forums around have actually got a diffinitive answer on this issue.

as you can imagine, this issue is quite challenging, i still appreaciate all advice and suggestions, although i am hoping to find some more advanced techniques, so please dont be discouraged to help me, but just think threw your suggestions a bit more. 

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 8 of 20 (2,391 Views)

Since you have tried a new PSU with its connectors then you can probably rule out cable connections if all the same connectors were used and tested.

Usually when there is a h/w issue the system will beep some number of times to indicate where the issue might be such as a keyboard issue etc.. You can look this up on the web and see what no beeps might mean.

Don't rule out the possibility of the CPU being bad.

You may have to use ubuntu to get at the data. Boot ubuntu, shrink the partition on the old HD, create a new partition on the old HD, then move your data. The new system should now be able to access the data.

HP Touchpad
Top Student
novideo
Message 9 of 20 (2,389 Views)

thank you for the very speedy reply, and i definately havent ruled out a fried cpu, as for the beeps i have checked around and cant find much regarding the beeps of this mobo, this is really the only usefull site i have found so far

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm but then again i havent been searching for beep codes.

i've got a boat load of usb drives so im sure the data extraction will go well once i recieve the pci sata card, but again thank you for any and all advice.

i really just want to get this pc to fire up again!!

Top Student
novideo
Message 10 of 20 (2,362 Views)

so i guess i've discoraged all other helpers from trying to help...

this was never my intention, i simply wanted helpers who would add in a new perspective, rather than repeat back things i have already tried.

i guess that was my mistake, thinking that anyone here would know more than i do, or actually share that information with me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation