Question

Student
Kyle_Aquini
Message 1 of 2 (1,078 Views)

dx5150 5 beeps when powering on

Hi all, i'm really hoping someone could shine a light on this one for me because I am totally stummped now!

I have a dx5150 (MS-7050 mobo) and it will not boot; upon powering it on you get 5 long beeps (fromt red led flashes in time), then a pause, then it repeats. Oh yeah, you also get no output to the monitor either.

I have tired booting with:

Only a keyboard and monitor attached

Only one stick of RAM (then alternating each one; there are 3 installed)

No RAM installed

The HDD disconnected

The DVD drive disconnected

Removed the CMOS battery; tried booting with and without it, as well as a known working one

All internal cards removed

All internal fans disconnected (even briefly with the CPU fan disconnected)

A different PSU installed

Oh yeah, and a mixture of all the above obviously!

The only 2 things left that I can think of are; either the CPU is fried (although I didn't think you get POST beeps for the CUP?), or there is a serios issue with the mobo.

Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Kyle

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 2 (1,073 Views)

Re: dx5150 5 beeps when powering on

Hi,

When you removed the CMOS battery did you have the jumper in the CMOSCLR position and press the power button to drain the current from the BIOS chip? 

You should try the clear cmos again and leave it that way overnight.

When you press the power button, does the CPU fan twitch? If the CPU is dead the fan won't twitch.

Is the PSU led a solid color when powered on or does it blink?

Never, unless you just don't care  about the CPU anymore, power up a motherboard without the cpu fan connected.  It is a totally counterproductive idea.

Best regards,
erico

****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation