error code BIOHD-8 (877 Views)
Student
hercules16
Message 1 of 2 (877 Views)

error code BIOHD-8

I have a Pavillion d5000t. I have been having major problems and did a system restore to original factory settings to see if I could restore basic system function. Now I can start the computer and it works great for 10 minutes (4trys today and the time to loss of video signal was 12 minutes, 4 minutes, 3 minutes and 14 minutes so not a strict timeout) and then the video output is lost. The cpu continues to work fine but without any video output the macine is not of much use. I did disable power timeouts and screen savers ut no help.  The machine will time out even in DOS mode when I am doing sytem diagnostics or CHKDSK and such before starting windows.

Ran system diagnostics and got the BIOHD-8 code on the hard drive WD5000AAKS-65A7B0 if that means anything

I have run CHKDSK many times over the last few days and it did correct some errors (mostly with the security indices and such?). But on last run of CHKDSK it didn't find any errors. (although I've had clean results and run it a few restarts later and it does clean up some of thosse security indices or such) Maybe it might help to restore factory settings again (after the disk indices were repaired).

Other than that I suppose I could order a new hard drive but some web information indicates that it might be the motherboard instead. Since it works great for 10 minutes maybe that is the more likely error?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 2 (863 Views)

Re: error code BIOHD-8

Hello hercules16, This error does seem to indicate a hard drive failure is near. There also have been some reports that a small number of motherboards have caused this issue.

I would backup my files as soon as possible, in case the hard drive actually fails.

You could try to Restore the system, just in case you may have gotten a bad recovery before, but I tend to think it is more likely a hard drive about to fail.

If you do not have the HP Recovery Restore Disk that should have been made when you got the system, you might want to try and make them now.

If not, and the hard drive fails, you would need to order the Recovery disk from HP when you installed a new hard drive.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation