Question

Tutor
marcel1723
Message 1 of 4 (695 Views)

hp-p6115y start up problems and crashes

where do i start. PC crashed, couldnt get it started for anything.  a few problems. 

it takes a few try's to get it to turn on. then when it did it wouldnt load windows.  window repair couldnt fix it.   did a bunch of test on it, all of them came back ok.   in the beginning i was getting a "system volume  on disk is corrupt"

ended up doing a complete restore to factory settings. (no we didnt make restore disks when we got the PC last fall)

started up setting up windows, things seemed fine. till the screen started filling up anywhere from half to 2/3's or so of scrambled static stuff.  talked to people, most said it was a software problem instead of hardware.  so that why i did the complete restore.

Yesterday took it to work to work on it again. ended up doing another complete restore. and the screen again fills up on and off with static stuff.  all the test say everything is good.  PC Doctor said "no signs of issue or failure most likely related to software.

my buddy thought it may be either the power supply or motherboard going out.  i don't have much money at all to take it the Geek squad guys. and its 1 month out of warrantee.

any thoughts ?

a couple more things. when you go to turn it on, a lot of times it takes 4 or 5 times to get it to come on. lights are on, fans come on, hard drive starts to spin up, then nothing. no hard drive activity, no blue or black screen.   other times when you push the start button, it will start up for 2 or 3 seconds, shut down on its own, start up again for 2 or 3 seconds, shut down, then start up again.  when it would do this most of the time it would continue to boot up. unlike the other times of having to hold the button to shut it down and try again.

last nite i thought after i restored it it was in better shape then it had been.  i turned it all off and then started it up . it booted up fine.  got the main windows screen and all. Except when i would open something like a game or help window then that's when the screen would fill anywhere from half to 2/3's of scrambled hash.  i don't think its the monitor at all cause when its doing that i can push the menu button on the monitor and all the window stuff is behind it, no hash covering it.

i let it sit overnite and when i got back to it this morning it had went into sleep, yellow lights.  i touched it and i heard the fans power up and the hard drive start to spin. then nothing. couldnt get it to turn blue.   turned it off and alas it wouldnt start up again.

please help !  lol  its driving me nuts

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 4 (688 Views)

Re: hp-p6115y start up problems and crashes

If you bought your PC with a credit card, then check with your credit card company and see if the card adds a separate 1 year warranty extension for electronic devices.  Many credit card companies add that coverage.

You can order the recovery disks from HP.

HP's support number is 800-474-6836 or 800-HPINVENT or online here.      HP Recovery Disks.

Try this procedure:

Unplug the PC and open it up. Clean out all the dust. Carefully remove and replace all the cables going to the motherboard one at a time. Do the same for the memory dimms and the video and sound cards if you have any.  You might want to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out of the CPU heat sink.  While the PC is open, use a flashlight and inspect the motherboard for bulging or burst capacitors. Plug your PC back in and give it a go.

If your PC has a Seagate hard drive, then the drive might need a firmware update. 

It sounds like a motherboard issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP e9280t, i7-960, 12GB, Vertex 3 120, ATI 4850
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad
Custom i7-4770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-3770k, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Tutor
marcel1723
Message 3 of 4 (687 Views)

i had already cleaned it out. removed and replaced the simms, connectors. nothing looks burnt or broken.  got it from best buy so no extended protection. 

when i restored it on sunday i got it online and started to download updates on everything. then when it needed to restart thats when it would close windows but not shut down, shut down manully and when i went to start it again, same starting problems

Tutor
marcel1723
Message 4 of 4 (598 Views)

a follow up.

took it to micro center, real nice place and they worked with me for 2 hrs no charge.

tested power supply and it showed too much, replaced power supply.

system still showed the static mess on the screen but only in normal windows, it worked fine in 'safe' mode

went ahead and tried a graphics card in case it was the onboard graphics controller.   bingo !

bought a Galaxy 210 card.

computer works great now

only prob now trying to deal is the back up files didnt go where i can access them or use most of them, but that's on another thread under "software"

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation