Question

Student
kamk
Message 1 of 3 (165 Views)

just purchased a used hp pavilion a1240n and cannot get it to boot

purchased a used HP pavillion a1240n hooked up screen reads "NTLDR is missing, press any key to restart", next message reads "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" how do I get this pc up and running?

Intern
BizkitsNGravy81
Message 2 of 3 (156 Views)

Re: just purchased a used hp pavilion a1240n and cannot get it to boot

That message appears when the OS is fragged and can't boot. You have to re-install the OS or install a new OS on the drive, neither of which is an option for you. That machine is so old - over half a decade old - that it won't run Windows 8 well, so you should just recycle it.
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 3 (140 Views)

Re: just purchased a used hp pavilion a1240n and cannot get it to boot

Most of the time, that means the bottloader has been corrupted or the hard drive is scrambled.  It usually requires the WinXP install disk, which pretty sure did not come with the PC.  Try hitting F10 as soon as the HP splash screen pops up.  It should indicate along the bottom of the screen that F10 will start the Recovery.

If that does not work or it fails, then probably going to need a new hard drive and then order these Recovery DVD: http://www.computersurgeons.com/SearchProducts.aspx?sbt=a1240n%20&bkm=Results#Results

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation