Question

Top Student
a6525uk
Message 1 of 13 (2,128 Views)

pavilion a6525uk stuck in sleep mode

i would appreciate any help with this rather unusual problem.
My Pavilion a6525.uk/FL230AA with Win XP  worked perfectly for a year. 2 days ago I turned it on and discovered that  it has entered into something like "sleep mode" -message on the  screen says "Power saving mode". Suggested solutions- pressing keys, power button, unplugging computer/monitor- do not work. Recovery disks are of no use as the comp does not react to anything! Monitor works fine with another computer. Whatever I do it makes all the usual noises but remains in "Power saving mode" ........

Thanks in advance

Ken

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 2 of 13 (2,086 Views)

Re: pavilion a6525uk stuck in sleep mode

Hello a6525uk,

Does the computer beep when you start it up?

To enter the Bios you would press the F10 key repeatedly as soon as you power on the computer. Does that work?

Have you tried a power reset?

Perform a power reset

If your computer does not start, first reset all power to device. Hopefully, the problem is temporary and can be fixed by performing the following steps:
  1. Disconnect all peripheral devices such as printers, USB storage devices and media cards.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the computer.
  3. Press and hold the power button for at least 15 seconds until the power LED on the power supply is off.
  4. Reconnect the power cord, and press the Power button .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
a6525uk
Message 3 of 13 (2,070 Views)

Hello

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 4 of 13 (2,053 Views)

Hello a6525uk,

Resetting the jumpers on the motherboard may help as it should reset everything within the BIOS and the computer shouldn't remember any previous settings.

To clear CMOS, follow these steps:

1. Temporarily set jumper Clear CMOS (CLRTC) to pins 1-2.
  2. Wait 5-10 seconds and then return the jumper to pins 2-3.
  3. When you startup the PC you will need to enter BIOS setup to reset any custom BIOS settings.

Now, if possible I would also try another monitor on the computer to ensure that the monitor is not in a power saving mode and it's not that computer that is sending the command.
The CMOS instructions can also be found on the motherboard specifications page.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
a6525uk
Message 5 of 13 (2,037 Views)

hello

"Now, if possible I would also try another monitor on the computer to ensure that the monitor is not in a power saving mode and it's not that computer that is sending the command."

When a6525uk did not start, I replaced monitor with the spare one. Result was the same. I then tried both monitors with another computer and they worked fine.

My interpretation of the message I see on the monitor "Power saving mode. Press power button or any key on the keyboard" is that monitor is in the power saving mode because no signal comes from the m.board. Monitor has factory settings.

When the computer was working there was, I think, a boot manager called Invent (version 5?) that gave several booting options. Could that be the reason for computer failure to start if it was corrupted/ infected?

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 6 of 13 (2,033 Views)

Hello a6525uk,

I didn't think another monitor would help solve the issue, but it's one of those steps that we have to do to rule it out. Kinda like changing out the cable, will it solve the problem..probably not, but it should be done to ensure that everything simple is ruled out before going to something complex.

We are at a crossroads of two possibilities riht now. Either the motherboard BIOS is bad and the system is not properly booting and thus the error on the monitor or the display port on the monitor is not sending the proper command to the monitor and has just gone bad.

It's possible that the system is booting up properly and everything is actually working correctly, however nothing is displaying because the command being sent by the display port is to have the monitor go into sleep mode. This can easily be checked against with another video card, but that is an investment to make (of course unless you just have them laying around).

If it's a bad BIOS setting then resetting the jumpers and clearing the CMOS should resolve that issue, unless the BIOS settings are corrupt. I'm not sure if the boot manager directly being corrupt could be the reason for the computer failure, as it could be numerous sections of the BIOS that is causing the issue, and really is hard to tell, and even not worth trying to find out what part of the section of the BIOS is failing, but moreso IF the BIOS is corrupt and failing.

It doesn't look like there are any BIOS updates for this computer so we don't have that route to be able to take.

- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
a6525uk
Message 7 of 13 (2,006 Views)

Hello    ,

Cleared CMOS  as per HP instructions. Computer appears to be in the same state as before.

Cleared password for BIOS as well (although there was no password protection) just to tick it off as done. Instructions say that when the jumper is in 1-2 position the menu for reset should appear, it did not happen. Nothing happened after jumpers were returned in 2-3 position.

Holding down F1, F10 still still has no effect.

Basically, after clearing and resetting everything I'm back to square one.

Any ideas as to what it all means?

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 8 of 13 (1,990 Views)

Hello a6525uk,

At this point we should try another video card in the machine. If you or friend or someone has a spare video card lying around I would try that in the computer and see if it still gives us a blank monitor.

- Friendship is magical.
Top Student
a6525uk
Message 9 of 13 (1,929 Views)

Finally managed to find a suitable PCI graphics card. Unfortunately it did not help. The monitor still displays "No signal" message.

Is it possible to flush BIOS without the use of monitor?

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 10 of 13 (1,869 Views)

Hello a6525uk,

Are you saying flush the BIOS as in reset it or was you looking to say flash the BIOS?

By any chance have we ruled out the monitor as the problem. I'd hate to have you keep replacing parts, but if you have a monitor that is easy to borrow then it's a good easy check.

- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation