HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
07-05-2009 04:28 PM - edited 07-05-2009 04:35 PM
Compaq presario SR2013WM
changed nothing inside.
Windows Media Centre
1. computer freezes every few seconds for 10-20 seconds during use.
2. freezing will eventually lead to a system shutdown
3.After shudown computer starts up (fans are louder) but monitor does not display anything (not responsive to mouse or keyboard)
Things to note:
1. A destructive recovery has never been done on the computer, problem only happened after the destructive recovery.
2. the recovery was to fix a slow computer that did not get faster from many registry cleanings and defragmentations. (the problem got worse)
3. Dust was cleaned out and large household fan placed on top of the open tower. (still has all problems noted, not overheating)
4. Tried to do a clean install from a Windows XP CD. Stops while loading install files at random loading times, and left overnight. only solution is a manual shutdown or ctrl+alt+del which restarts the computer.
5. Safe mode works beautifully.
Thanks in advance.
07-05-2009 11:43 PM
Clean out the memory. Remove it and reinstall it.It can keep remnants of files from the old files. Also remove and reinstall the cmos battery.
After that reomve everything except the mouse, keyboard and monitor. Disconnect from the internet and perform another Destructive Recovery. Stay with the process so to change discs or click yes/no option when prompted.
If that does not solve the issue, then we need to look at hardware issues. Does the green light on the back of the computer flash while the computer is on?