Question

Honor Student
cbaer8
Message 1 of 2 (1,271 Views)

purple screen

[ Edited ]

HI -

My HP Pavilion Elite m9040n PC has been prone to freezing ever since I bought it, but in recent months it's gotten much worse.Typically freezing several times a day, and it often takes many long restarts to get it going again.

When it freezes, the screen often turns a shade of light purple.

When I restart it, if I see purple lines running through the HP splash screen, that's usually a bad sign - often ending in a blue screen.

It definitely seems hardware related. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

I should have returned it when I bought it and noticed it freezing periodically, but I suffered through and now it's much worse.

Any help appreciated!

C

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 2 of 2 (1,247 Views)

Re: purple screen

I see where this model was released in August 2007 - so its likely about about 2 1/2 years old - probably way out of warranty.

I've known of no problems with the berkeley motherboard and nvidia 8400 graphic card used in this model.  I personally used a Berkeley MB system with a 8500 graphics card for a couple of years at home, and it never gave me any problems.

I would suggest ensuring you've the most current BIOS and graphics driver from HP installed.   Perhaps try a newer graphics driver if one is offered via Windows Update/optional driver update.

The most likely culprit would be the graphics card (could be a good excuse to buy a faster, new card) or a RAM problem.  For RAM - you could try running the PC Doctor diagnostics to see if it finds a problem, or try swapping the locations moving the DIMM modules to see if the problem changes.

Also - another bvious thing to check - is overheating.  You might want to verify the chassis, bezel and GFX/CPU fans are clear of dust/lint/dust bunnies, etc.   You'd be surprised how often this causes lockups.  I usually vacuum the systems out as best I can, then turn it on "blow" to get the rest (outside of the house).  If the fans are especially clogged, I use an old toothbrush to dislodge any build up dirt from the blades.

-dm (an HP employee, but the comments/suggestions here are my own, not my employer's)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation