Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Geez....that only took months.

HP Recommended

I am trying to add some more RAM. I went to local computer store and showed the z420 specs. Popped in the ram and did that turbo fan thing with no video. Now I am wondering if they actually replaced the motherboard or the RAM?? I tried the RAM with current RAM and many various positions with no luck. Went back today for different set of RAM, same thing. Fans go into turbo speed and nothing else happend. Moral of this story is....check your RAM when you  get the turbo fan thing happening. Try a single stick in first slot. On this MB they say to start with Black slots first then white.

Anyone have any specs on the type of RAM i need for this unit? I  showed the computer guy pics of the ram from my unit. So now I am questioning if i need RAM from HP??

HP Recommended

Maybe they did replace the motherboard. But the RAM is the only thing that I found that makes that no video whirring fan thing happen.

16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

try that

HP Recommended

Sure testing Ram in different slots is a good and cheap quick qay to test, but most probably mainboard is dead or powersupply is failing.

Any ideas what mainboard is available at the market, if there is no warranty?

HP Recommended

It IS the RAM. Had this problem and it was defective new RAM that came with Machine.

Take out the RAM one stick at a time and re insert until you find the bad one.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.