Question

Top Student
geekgranny
Message 1 of 11 (8,741 Views)

32-bit Programs Won't Run on My New 64-bit System

HP a6619f, Vista Home Premium 64-bit  I'll start off by saying that I'm an advanced user. Actually I did hardware/software upper level support for Compaq(HP) in the mid 90's. From the very start all visible, preloaded 32-bit programs crash when starting up on this system. This is PRELOADED SOFTWARE and nothing added by me. All crashes repeat after each "restore to factory condition" (at least 5 restores). In effect the system is useless as there are very few native 64-bit programs available. After speaking with second tier support, after sending pages of explanation and problem reports I sent the system back in as requested by support. I did not have high hopes. All they apparently did was restore the very same OS/software that is on the hard drive, the very same software that has some kind of problem to begin with, as the exact same problems began as Vista reloaded "for the fist time" when I got it back from service.

I am aware that each manufacturer can have some proprietary "helper" software that may cause conflicts but this seems to be more than that as "the problem" affects all the 32-bit programs that run on most other 64-bit systems, i,e, IE, Media Player, Adobe Reader, HP Advisor, Symantec Internet Security, MS Student and Home Office 2007(with compatibility pack), Windows Mail, etc..... all preloaded on my system. Others that I tried that would install but wouldn't run; MS Office Enterprise 2007 (with compatibility pack), Norton 360, Adobe Reader (higher than 7), etc.

There seems to be a problem with the preloaded software. I've spent 2 months trying to get this taken care of and in the interim had to purchase another office computer to take care of the duties that the HP was for. I've searched to see if others are having similar problems. Haven't found much other than hints of "preloaded proprietary helper software". If I had a copy of Vista 64-bit I would gladly load it on the computer to see what happens but I don't want spend that unnecessary money. Any suggestion on how to get out of the merry-go-round of sending the computer back again only to be restored AGAIN with the (probable) faulty software? BTW.... I was well aware of the issues of 64-bit systems this early in the game but this is not a "normal" issue.

Or is there any thing I can look for in registry or elsewhere while waiting for resolution from HP?

Thanks for help. geekgranny

Professor
1badGuard
Message 2 of 11 (8,743 Views)

Re: 32-bit Programs Won't Run on My New 64-bit System

I'm confused as to why HP would install 32-bit programs on a computer with a 64-bit OS ? You would think they would load 64-bit programs only. I have never had any luck getting 32-bit programs to run on my 64-bit Vista Business even though most disks sent with printers and other hardwares are usually 32-bit drivers and software.

I have no real answer other than to ask HP to install Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I understand the complaint and the(why 32-bit when I wanted 64-bit) but for now it's all I know to ask them for. Also the only solution I have found that works.

Teacher
Bskull
Message 3 of 11 (8,729 Views)

I do not represent HP in any way when I say this, but HP will only support the original operating system that came with the computer. If you want to use a 32bit Operating system, either get the retail version of that operating system (Microsoft will only technical support this operating system) or get a custom built machine from HP that comes with a 32bit operating system.
worked with HP employee for 2 years. Freelance tech support for 11 years.
Top Student
geekgranny
Message 4 of 11 (8,713 Views)

64-bit Windows machines that ship with added software ship with 32-bit software as there are very few native 64-bit programs developed as yet. Many 32-bit programs will run on 64-bit machines. They just won't run on mine.

The main problems people run in to are drivers. Most new programs out now that "mention" 64-bit have been tested and will run on many 64-bit Windows machines but are actually native 32-bit. Windows 64-bit XP, Server, Vista have a "compatability" "service" that helps them run many 32-bit programs especially more popular and recent software.

The only native 64-bit software that shipped with my HP 64-bit Vista is 64-bit IE and 64-bit Media Player. The rest of the preloaded software is 32-bit which should run on the system if it was working properly.

The main problem with IE 64-bit is that there is no 64-bit java. I did locate a 32-bit virus protection today that is not crashing (so far). geekgranny

Top Student
geekgranny
Message 5 of 11 (8,711 Views)

BTW.... I don't want a 32-bit OS. I want the OS AND SOFTWARE that SHIPPED with my computer to function AS GUARANTEED!

I know too many people who have 64-bit windows OSs running older 32-bit software without problems.

Tens of thousands of people around the world are running 32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows systems.

My systems shipped with 32-bit software that is supposed to work.

My system (software) is defective.

BTW... for anyone who might be able to help.... I have the latest BIOS

geekgranny

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 6 of 11 (8,711 Views)

If all 32-bit applications fail to run, then there is a problem with that HP image file.  I would zero-fill and check the integrity of that hard drive.  A single COPYWIPE pass (free download) should be sufficient to address any hard drive anomaly.  Now reload the OS using the factory CDs/DVDs applicable to your PC.  Do not use those from the recovery partition!  If you still cannot run 32-bit applications immediately after image restoration, then you have a defective PC.  The only way to fix this problem is to clean install windows, add essential drivers, and retest with a 32-bit application.

I have WXP Pro 64 and Vista Ultimate 64, but still use WXP Pro 32 because I see zero benefit with a 64 bit OS at this time.  Don't want to have a bunch of data on the hard drive, then find out months from now that I cannot run program XYZ because it is not compatible with a 64 bit OS.  There is negligible speed improvement with 64 bit, unless you happen to run an application that requires more than 3GB of RAM.

Top Student
geekgranny
Message 7 of 11 (8,664 Views)

Thanks Royal Serpent. That's the type of info I need for starters. HP doesn't normally ship factory CD/DVD's so I'll have to rely on the recovery DVD's I've made from the image on the HD. But at least I can zero out the HD and do a clean disk check for bad sectors. Also I can strongly suggest to upper level HP support to send me a new image or DVD or HD loaded with OS/programs. I guess the last resort would be to purchase another license for vista and/or HD if I don't get satisfaction.

I'm not too concerned about the 64-bit incompatibilies as I have several computers and was mainly going to use this one for MS Office Programs, Mail, and Picassa using current RAID 1 NAS storage. Office student/home 2007 (trial preinstalled) runs on 64-bit and ships with a compatability pack. I have Office Enterprise 2007 and there is no question about it running on 64-bit but of course it won't run on my system.  All of my XP/Vista computers have RAid 1 either add in cards or on board except for notebook and pen tablets. (RAID 1 saves me the hassle of managing backups) This computer is nice in that it has on board RAID so no add in card needed.

I've got to get back to HP support on this, but last night, something to do with power on/off switch, on motherboard, on my ancient HP, where my previous mail is, went south so I have to find some time to pull it off the HD. Darn...... I've been nursing that for months. Thought it was the switch but put a new one in last night....Not.

Again, thanks. Will get back with any news. geekgranny

Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 8 of 11 (8,673 Views)

If this is a new PC, then tell HP to cross-ship a new replacement.  I assure you that wiping the HDD and clean install XP or Vista will fix the 32 bit anomaly.  However, you paid HP for a licensed copy of Vista, so there is no need to fork over more $ to fix this problem.
Provost
erico
Message 9 of 11 (8,652 Views)

Have you heard of WOW64? It is the subsystem of  (All)Windows x64 versions that is capable of running 32-bit programs. There is also WOW32, which enables many legacy 16-bit programs to run on Windows  32-bit OS.

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
geekgranny
Message 10 of 11 (8,561 Views)

Thanks guys.

Will have time tomorrow to get back in touch with HP support. Thought I was going to have to pull the info from email on HD on troubled motherboard PC but found info on some notes I took ( problem issue number).

I'm aware of the WOW folder (and processes) for "tricking" programs and OSs into running together. That could be part of the problem. Probably won't ever know for sure as I don't have the time to fully investigate.

Part of the issue, also, is HP support. I initially pleaded with them that I thought that it was a waste of my time and their time and money to send the system back in as I didn't think there was anything physically wrong with the system.

I will put a solved on the post when it is solved computer and HP support.

BTW..... I initially  purchased this system because I had a BIG "gift" certificate at a big office supply store. Actually it was warranty reimbursement for a fancy  printer that went south that they no longer carried. I had spent way to many funds replacing DH's old Shuttle XPC to a new one for his personal and our home entertainment, and upgrading my old XP machines as much as possible. My old dual boot HP that just gave out has been giving me problems for many many months now. And I wanted to play around with 64-bit.

From my personal experience with HP machines this new HP would promise me a great, stable  work horse that would hold up for years for all my "office" needs, with on board RAID, decent on board graphics and sound, plenty of memory and expansion capability. And I could do a little bit of testing with other programs. If I wanted to do hard core testing, of course I would choose a more generic, less proprietary machine and NOT use it for any important work.

Thanks and I'll get back when I hear something from HP support. geekgranny

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation