Question

Student
oclancasters
Message 1 of 4 (118 Views)

32-bit XP Install

I am looking into getting a Presario CQ5802 Desktop.  However I want to install a 32-bit XP OS on it in order to use it with a certain accounting software we use.  Is that possible on a new PC like this?  Will I run into any issues in doing so?

Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 2 of 4 (104 Views)

Re: 32-bit XP Install

[ Edited ]

oclancasters wrote: I am looking into getting a Presario CQ5802 Desktop.  However I want to install a 32-bit XP OS on it in order to use it with a certain accounting software we use.  Is that possible on a new PC like this?  Will I run into any issues in doing so?

Hello oclancasters, I don't believe you can order a new computer with Windows XP preinstalled now. There was a time when you could.

I just checked the HP online store and the Presario CQ 5800 series systems ships with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Microsoft is trying to move all the Windows XP users to Windows 7.

You could always try and locate a Windows XP (32 bit) disk, and install it on the new computer. 

I have some software much like you describe, and I purchased a new system with Windows 7 preinstalled, so I just purchased a new hard drive and replaced the hard drive that came with Windows 7, and installed Windows XP on the new hard drive and my software that would not install on the Windows 7 operating system.

This approach gives me a new, faster system with the ability to continue using my very expensive software, that is not Windows 7 compatible and want run in compatibility mode.

Have you considered running the software on Windows 7 in compatibility mode. Many times this is possible. It just depends of the software.

I have the original hard drive in the drawer and if I ever need to reinstall it, I can do this in just a few minutes.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Tutor
Cytheria
Message 3 of 4 (88 Views)

Yes, of course it is possible. It may not come pre-installed, but you can surely install XP on it yourself without any problems. It doesn't make any difference, you can still install Windows 98 if you are so inclined.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 4 (81 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi:

I agree with Hanspuppa. You can run your accounting software in Windows XP mode using the Virtual PC application, but you must upgrade Windows 7 Home premium to windows 7 professional in order to use XP mode.

Info on XP mode...

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-PC/support/requirements.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

And yes, you could install XP if you have an installation disk and matching XP product key. Finding the correct drivers will be difficult, but not impossible.

If you decide to go the do it yourself XP route, please post back if you need any assistance finding the XP drivers. We can help you find them, and you will be good to go.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation