Question

Tutor
Jeff77xx
Message 1 of 5 (250 Views)
Accepted Solution

A lot less free space on E drive than main C drive on Pavilion Elite desktop m9250f

Running Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 2, 64-bit

I have 334 GB free of 455 GB on my main C drive but only 121 GB free of 465 on my E drive (which is used for backups).  

Shouldn't the free space on each be about equal? 

There is one initial "Backup set" on the E drive that's dated 7/5/11.  Then, there's all these daily backup files from that date forward until a couple day ago, when I turned automatic backups off.   I recently made some changes to our home wireless network, which includes one other computer.    Is it possible that the recent (within the last 1-2 weeks) Pavilion backups, which are so much larger in size than the older ones, have also been backing up the other computer on our home network?

How do I create a new initial backup set, so that I can then delete the one from 7/5/11 and all of its subsequent daily backup files?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (248 Views)

Re: A lot less free space on E drive than main C drive on Pavilion Elite desktop m9250f

Hi,

No, normally they can not be equal. This depends on how do you do backup, how the product compresses files .... As you mentioned, you keep more backup copies on D: therefore D: needs more space. For the last few weeks, you may change your files more therefore the system has to backup more...

To be at the safe side, you can create a fresh backup (use different name) from start and delete the old backup when you are happy with the new one.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Tutor
Jeff77xx
Message 3 of 5 (237 Views)

Re: A lot less free space on E drive than main C drive on Pavilion Elite desktop m9250f

Hello.  

Thank you for your response.

Can you address this question please:

"I recently made some changes to our home wireless network, which includes one other computer.    Is it possible that the recent (within the last 1-2 weeks) Pavilion backups, which are so much larger in size than the older ones, have also been backing up the other computer on our home network?"

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 5 (235 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, the machine is not backing up the other machine unless you set it up to do that. And with Windows permissions being so stringent it would take quite a bit of know-how to even set it up knowingly much less by accident.:smileywink:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Jeff77xx
Message 5 of 5 (225 Views)

Thank you.  Much appreciated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation