AMD Phenom X4 9550 Usage Problem with Windows 7 (2620 Views)
Honor Student
joshuahiatt
Message 1 of 9 (2,620 Views)

AMD Phenom X4 9550 Usage Problem with Windows 7

[ Edited ]

I just recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my HP Pavilion A6720Y machine that originially had Windows Vista x64 when I bought it.  After the fresh install I updated my drivers as necessary and everything looked great.  The machine ran perfect for a couple hours and I noticed that my processor monitor(sidebar gadget) had all four cores loaded at 75%+ constantly.

I went through Task Managers' "Resource Monitor" and noticed there was a "System Interupt" that was taking up 75%+ CPU usage.

Aso, I looked through the "Peformance" tab in Task Manager and saw the "System Idle" was ranging from 70%-98% and at the same time the "CPU Usage" was sitting around 75-80% which makes no sense.

Would anyone have any kind of insight as to what the problem may be?

Thanks,

Josh

Message Edited by joshuahiatt on 11-05-2009 05:59 AM
Intern
Nick7MS
Message 2 of 9 (2,616 Views)

Re: AMD Phenom X4 9550

Josh --

Inside Resource Monitor, you might try to isolate that specific process and see if it is truly using resources over a sustained amount of time.  I'd suggest putting a check in the suspect process' box to the left of the listing under the CPU category.  You can also right-click it and Analyze Wait Chain to perhaps see if there are other dependant processes that it is waiting on to finish some task in the background.

Please note that all advice, instructions, and opinions are my own and do not reflect those of Microsoft, its employees, subsidiaries, or partners. They are given without implied warranty or guarantee.
Honor Student
joshuahiatt
Message 3 of 9 (2,601 Views)

[ Edited ]

Nick7MS,

When inside "Resource Monitor" the only thing the menu states I can do with the "System Interrupts" is "Search Online".  Also,  I tried checking the box and nothing came up after 10 minutes.  The CPU usage would just jump around.

I've tried everything as far as drivers go.  I've update my Nividia GeForce 9800 GT drivers and nothing helped; the onboard sound card drivers, nothing; I looked through HP's driver list and no mother board drivers came up.  I also disable all peripherals through the bios and loaded back into Windows and the problem still persisted.

If I am correct, the "System Interrupts" are hardware problems? 

Here is another post on another forum with someone else having the same problem as I.

http://www.sharkyforums.com/showthread.php?p=2683996

Message Edited by joshuahiatt on 11-05-2009 06:05 AM
Honor Student
joshuahiatt
Message 4 of 9 (2,572 Views)

I was wondering if there were any chipset/bios drivers out yet from HP for Windows 7 64-bit yet?  I was thinking that may also be the issue.
Honor Student
joshuahiatt
Message 5 of 9 (2,558 Views)

Any of the HP guys willing to chime in?  If not I'm just going to get rid of Windows 7 and revert back to my Vista 64-bit version that came with the computer.  I've been reading through numerous forums and no-one has found a common cure for the problem.  I'll give it a couple more hours for an expert to chime in and if no solutions are available I'll go back to Vista.

Honor Student
ath24
Message 6 of 9 (2,423 Views)

Re: AMD Phenom X4 9550 Usage Problem with Windows 7

[ Edited ]

I am having the same exact problem as well. I have been searching for a fix for about a week now without having any luck. Come on HP. The OS has been testing over a year and you havent solved this yet?

Honor Student
osparker2
Message 7 of 9 (2,365 Views)

I have the same problem.

I have a Pavilion Elite e9120f

Did you find a fix yet?

I am tempted to go back to VISTA as well but a lot of hassel

thanks

Tutor
DanOsmena
Message 8 of 9 (2,345 Views)

Wow! Thats like your heart is racing and your just sitting there. I got the Windows 7 64bit preinstalled already on the Athlon Phenom II 945 ( 3.0 liters). Its purring at  4%+/-.  Just waiting for the next job to do.

Love the Hardware. Hate the software.

Honor Student
osparker2
Message 9 of 9 (2,304 Views)

I had the same trouble.  After I uninstalled Itunes and reinstalled it the CPU meter went back to normal.  BUT  GTA IV worked perfectly on full graphics with Vista but runs like crap with win7.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation