BIOHD3 Error (11236 Views)
Student
Lmore73
Message 1 of 6 (11,236 Views)

BIOHD3 Error

I have a P6754y that I have not had any problems with.  I shut it off last night and got up this morning and it showed the blue HP welcome screen and options for booting up and it went into the black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left and it stopped loading.  I restarted the computer and pushed ESC to get into boot options and selected my hard drive and Windows 7 started right up.  I shut it down again to test things and I got the black screen again.  I did a system check and it gave me a "Boot Test Failed - Error Code BIOHD3 No active partition.  What is this and what are the best steps to resolve this issue?

Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 6 (11,229 Views)

Re: BIOHD3 Error

BIO HD usually means the BIOS cannot detect the hard drive. Unplug power, press power button while cord is unplugged. Plug in to see if it boots, if not - turn off, pull side panel, unplug sata cable attached to motherboard that runs to the HD and try using another sata port (or just try replugging it into the same port if it looked like the cable was not fully seated). check the sata connection on the back of the drive as well. there are other poccible causes and solutions ... but start with those.
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Regents Professor
Hanspuppa
Message 3 of 6 (11,227 Views)

Lmore73 wrote: I have a P6754y that I have not had any problems with.  I shut it off last night and got up this morning and it showed the blue HP welcome screen and options for booting up and it went into the black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left and it stopped loading.  I restarted the computer and pushed ESC to get into boot options and selected my hard drive and Windows 7 started right up.  I shut it down again to test things and I got the black screen again.  I did a system check and it gave me a "Boot Test Failed - Error Code BIOHD3 No active partition.  What is this and what are the best steps to resolve this issue?

Hello Lmore73, This error code usually means the hard drive has failed or is about to fail.

I would suggest backing up your important data as soon as possible, and consider replacing the hard drive as quickly as possible.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

Top Student
Freidenker
Message 4 of 6 (8,980 Views)

My h8-1050z (hp pavilion HPE) has three SATA drives.

o Disk 1 is the Windows 7 boot disk.

o Disk 2 has image backups of disk 1.

o Disk 3 is user data (video, audio, etc.)

BIOS boot priority is normally:

o Disk 1 Enabled

o Disk 2 Disabled

o Disk 3 Disabled

During the last two years, on two occasions I have powered on the system after a normal shutdown and the boot failed. Diagnostics on both events indicated a BIOHD3 Error. I entered BIOS setup and found that all three drives were enabled and the boot selection sequence had been changed to Disk 3, Disk 1, Disk 2. I fixed the problem in both cases by disabling disks 2 and 3 in the HDD Group, and choosing Disk 1 as the first boot disk. I don't know why this happens, but the system booted OK after the first event for a long time before failing again. What can cause the BIOS to change the HDD disk order?

Top Student
Freidenker
Message 5 of 6 (8,104 Views)

By now you have already fixed your problem, but just for future reference, my HDD Group boot priority gets reset. I have three internal drives, one bootable, two that are user data. When I get a "No active partition" error at boot time, I enter BIOS Setup and discover that the user data drives (both internal and external USB) have been added into the HDD Group boot priority. I fix the problem by deleting all user data drives from the HDD Group Boot Priority, leaving only the bootable drive in the list. I don't know why this happens.

Honor Student
kw74
Message 6 of 6 (4,141 Views)

i am having BIOHD-3 error

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation