BIOS and driver updates with Win 7 (834 Views)
Honor Student
DNP2010
Message 1 of 6 (834 Views)

BIOS and driver updates with Win 7

After installing Win 7 I am not able to update drivers -- my video card / screen is now blurry - with a significant shadow behind all of the images - - I can not update BIOS because "my system does not meet minimum requirements for update"  and was cancelled.  My video card manufacturer recommends that I update my BIOS as this is the most likely cause. 

What is frustrating is that after updating - - none of the drivers etc that I need to update are available.  It was not a surprise that Win 7 was comming out - - but it appears that the support for Win 7 has been "caught with its pants down" as the Win 7 transition was not as smooth as all the hype made it out to be.  The only people that I have spoken with that like Win 7 are people who bought new computers - - so far not many people are thrilled with the upgrade version.  Myself included.

Anyway.....what can I do to resolve this issue - as the screen is terrible -- this is a new video card and it was working great until I upgraded to Win 7.

Associate Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 6 (832 Views)

Re: BIOS and driver updates with Win 7

To assist you with the drivers, could you please provide the model number, product number and serial number of your product that is available as a sticker on the PC. Also, if you are having problems installing BIOS update, I suggest you go back to the preinstall OS, install the BIOS update and then install Windows 7.
I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the left side of my post to say thanks!***
Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 3 of 6 (784 Views)

What PC model do you have?  From that I could tell which graphic card you have.   If you know the softpaq # you are trying to run, that would help as well.

Usually the Video BIOS update will help with stability issues, not things like ghosting.   It is most like a driver update that you need, or the driver didn't install and you are using the basic "in-box" VGA drivers from Win7.   Sometimes resolving these types of issues is as simple as manually changing the resolution and color depth in the advanced settings of the display settings.   This can happen if for some reason- your monitor type isn't automatically detected by the video driver.   I've found manually setting it to the default resolution of the monitor often works.

-DM

While I am an HP employee, I am not a expert on all our products. When I offer advice, I'm not speaking for HP.

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Honor Student
DNP2010
Message 4 of 6 (742 Views)

[ Edited ]

I recently had to replace my Video card - I installed a Raedon 6800 series - - I have gone to their website and updated drivers without any resolution to blurry text - -  their recommendation was to update BIOS

Model # a6244n

PN - GN702AA#ABA

SN - <text removed for privacy>

Thanks for your assistance.

Message Edited by WendyM on 11-19-2009 06:13 PM
Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 5 of 6 (732 Views)

Well... The BIOS on your download page is wrapped for Windows Vista. But I don't really see the connection between a BIOS update and poor video quality.

Are you sure it isn't simply the display resoltuion not matching the native size for your display. That is the most common problem I see, such as using 1024x768 on a monitor that expects a much higher resolution or widescreen resolution.

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
PhD Student
PC_Tester
Message 6 of 6 (659 Views)

1. Are you using a KVM Switch or a splitter? If so, remove it and make a direct connection

2. Have you tried plugging in a different monitor?

3. Try turn off the PC wait 30 sec. Replace all the memory with another set completely and see if anything changes.

4. I'd also use the driver from Windows Update if there are any

windowsupdate.microsoft.com (Check for update, opt in all optional and recommended driver updates).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation