Question

Tutor
Silver_Surfer
Message 1 of 7 (8,779 Views)

Best antivirus for a slow computer

Hey guys! I'm looking for a very good antivirus program with one small catch: my computer is very slow so I need something that takes only a minimal amount of memory while monitoring the system constantly. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (8,769 Views)

Re: Best antivirus for a slow computer

[ Edited ]

There are some good suggestions in the Virus Protection FAQ  Personally, I like Avira Anti-Vir.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Teacher
Vishal_Shankar
Message 3 of 7 (8,501 Views)

If using Windows, then First and Better Option is to go for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0(You can also change monitoring settings for realtime scans and also you can limit CPU usage as you need). Avira is Second Option.

** If your problem is solved then Mark this as Answer! **
** Please give Kudos If you want to Thank Me! **
Intern
Legacy7955
Message 4 of 7 (8,493 Views)

I can speak to this because I am using a really old...OLD Pavilion 7955 (from 2001) only has 40 GB HDD and a Pent 4 1.5 GHz CPU....

I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed on this PC and it is fantastic....very effective , with reliable solid updates seperate from Windows Update (even if WU doesn't work) .

PC boots up and can use internet and programs in just over a minute. 

I would make one other suggestion....if you can add more cheap reliable memory sticks for your old system , get it. It will make using your old PC much more enjoyable.

Teacher
MrRod25
Message 5 of 7 (8,480 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had a computer that was slower than that, and Trend Micro was recommended to me.  It's not free, but it is fairly cheap, and it did everything right.  I understand it doesn't work well with Vista or Windows 7, though.

Microsoft Security Essentials is OK, but it has a bad habit of suddenly using 25% or more of CPU for reasons no one seems to understand.  It also requires you to turn Automatic Updates on and off to update it.  Which means if you want to update manually, you'll have to go into Services, turn on Automatic Updates, update it, then go back into Services and turn it back off.  I never have anything set to update automatically, because it can do so while you're in the middle of doing something else, and may crash the computer.

MSE also will slow down installations of programs or cause failed installations, because it thinks it has to scan every file created by the installation routine.  This is even if you scanned the setup file before running the install.

Intern
Legacy7955
Message 6 of 7 (8,460 Views)

Mr Rod:

What PC do you have.

Actually what you are stating regarding your experience with MSE are NOTHING like mine. The old Pavilion 7955 hums along like a much newer PC boots and ready to use in about a minute, and it has been a LONG time since that was true due to all the former bloated security services I tried  before it.

I have not experienced the sudden cpu usage, or the delay of file downloads on my PC at all. Also have this installed on another more current PC and it is also working well.

It sounds like you could have a virus or registry issue as well. It is also CRITICAL to first completely remove all traces of any previous security service from your PC before begining to download another one, no matter what the service is.

Student
topefizy1990
Message 7 of 7 (3,925 Views)

avast can also be recormended

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation