Question

Top Student
Harley93
Message 1 of 11 (15,698 Views)
Accepted Solution

Blu Ray drive and HP MediaSmart DVD problem

I recently purchased an hp m9515y desktop with an hp w2408h monitor.  This computer came equipped with a Blu Ray player and when I tried to play a movie for the first time on hp mediasmart dvd I got the message "the content is protected", " the content is not allowed to play in the current display mode".  I have also tried to play blu ray on windows media player and windows media center and have had no luck.  I have talked to hp technical support and best buy's geek squad also with no luck.  If any one has any advice I would sure appreciate it.  Thanks
Grad Student
ErnyWhite
Message 2 of 11 (15,688 Views)

Re: Blu Ray drive and HP MediaSmart DVD problem

Did you all try these steps in this document?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01530801&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3867599

reply back if you already have done these steps, if they worked, or if they did not work-- Good luck

Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
Top Student
Harley93
Message 3 of 11 (15,660 Views)

Thank you for the help, I had not gone that direction. When I saw that the auto pivot needed to be disabled I thought that would be the answer. I uninstalled my hp display and reinstalled from the hp website and then made sure the auto pivot was disabled but that still didn't work. When I went to put in the blu ray disk my media smart kept closing out. After three tries it finally remained open but I still got the content protected message. If you have any other advice I would sure appreciate it. I am starting to think that I need to take this computer back.
Top Student
Harley93
Message 4 of 11 (15,632 Views)

Finally, after about 3 hrs with tech support at hp we were able to fix the problem.  We had to reset the computer back to factory settings and that worked.  Thank you Erny for your help, I appreciate it. 
Student
der_stefan123
Message 5 of 11 (15,241 Views)

Hi,

is there any chance to play BluRays in HP MediaSmart in more than Stereo?!

DTS or DD5.1 using the coax-audioport would be nice...a simple pass-through of the audiostream would be enough...

Greetings

Stefan...

Student
Dubenator
Message 6 of 11 (14,757 Views)

After some research on-line, the issue is that you cannot show a Blu-Ray movie on two different video output devices.  Basically, you need to first switch your computer to only view on the TV, then the movie will play just fine.  I believe you have your video card set to show the same information on your PC monitro and on your TV.  Switch it to just the TV for the time you're showing the movie and switch it back when you're done.  This solved the issue on my PC without requiring new software.

Here's an explanation I found on the net that provides some of the details that cause this issue:

BD disks are protected using HDCP (high bandwidth digital copyright protection) which is a form of DRM (digital rights management). In order for any BD disk to playback properly, the encryption must be intact from the source (your blu-ray player) to the sink (your monitor and your TV). If the playback software on your computer detects that this protected path is invalid (which it is if there are two output devices) it will not allow playback to occur.

Chances are you have a NVIDIA video card.  To switch the output to just the TV, r-click on the desktop and choose NVIDEA control panel.  Under Display on the left, choose 'Set up multiple displays'.  On the rigth choose in item 1. 'Only use one display' and in item 2. choose your TV.  Item 3. will switch to your TV.  Save the settings.  You will now see your PC on the TV and you can start and run the movie with no errors.

When you're done with the movie, get back into the NVIDEA control panel and reset item 1. to 'The same on both displays' and item 2. with the item having both your PC monitor and your TV.

No need for new software or messing around with other settings.

Student
GrimmReaper
Message 7 of 11 (13,482 Views)

An easier way would be to go to Control Panel, *Windows Mobility Center, under 'External Display' (be sure to have your laptop already connected to your TV) click on 'Connect Display.'  A new window should pop up asking how you would like to view the desktop on your external display (mirror, half of desktop, or external display only).  Choose the last/bottom option of viewing desktop on external display only.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you don't have to go back into your video card settings and reset them every time you stop viewing on your TV.  This remembers your settings and every time you connect to your external display (TV via HDMI cable) it knows to turn off your laptop monitor and only display your desktop view on your TV.  Also, once you disconnect your HDMI cable from the laptop, it will know to turn your laptop monitor back on, because you are no longer connected to an external display.

I have a HP HDX18 laptop and have the resolution set at 1920 x 1080 and works great.  However, I have received the same error code (This content is protected. The content is not allowed to play in current display mode.) while trying to watch blu-rays on my laptop connected to my HD TV.  My solution was to do the above mentioned first and also do the following:

- Ensure there is no disc in your drive initially.

- Start up HP MediaSmart DVD

- Once HP MediaSmart DVD has loaded then connect to your TV via HDMI cable.

- Insert you blu-ray movie in the drive.

Once the movie has been put in your drive, it should start playing automatically or it will say something to the fact that your movie is ready to play, at which point, just click on play.

I hope this was helpful and solves everyone's issue regarding this error with playing blu-ray movies on their laptop connected to a TV.

*Windows Mobility Center is only available on laptops with Windows Vista.

Tutor
marky_mark896
Message 8 of 11 (10,031 Views)

I was having the problem of "content protected.  Not allowed to play ..."  But the night before, we had no problems.  I suspected that we had lost our handshaking via the HDMI cable, so I unplugged the HDMI cable from the PC and plugged it back in and it re-established handshaking and the Bluray worked fine.  Just a thought for others with this problem.

Student
harwoodjr
Message 9 of 11 (6,564 Views)

I spent 2 four hour sessions on the phone with HP Support before finding the suggestion to reinitialize the handshake between the monitor and computer. Unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI cable at the back of my monitor removed my "Protected Content" message on my HPE510f. I did not even have to restart my computer and I can play my blu rays while using another monitor at the same. Thanks!

Intern
bedfordvirginia
Message 10 of 11 (2,002 Views)

I just wish my Blu ray worked alli does is click and it's 15 mo old. Thanks HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation