Question

Tutor
nottheusualtoda
Message 1 of 21 (20,076 Views)

Booting from a CD or DVD with HP Pavillion p6-2260ea desktop

I have an HP Pavillion p6-2260ea desktop, and I have been trying to get a disk with bootable media (that I know is OK)  to boot.

Having found the BIOS I set the CD/USB drive to boot first, but it still booted straight into Windows. Is there something I can try as I really want to have a bootable disk that enables me to accesst my Acronis backup program, so I can restore from my External Hard Drive? -Mike

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 21 (20,071 Views)

Re: Booting from a CD or DVD with HP Pavillion p6-2260ea desktop

[ Edited ]

Hi, Mike:

Some of these new PC's have a Windows boot manager.

I haven't quite figured out how it all works, but what I do is start the PC and at the beginning of the HP welcome screen, I tap the F9 key to launch the one time boot menu.

Then I select the drive I want to boot from off the list that shows up.

If the F9 key does nothing for you, then do the same thing, but instead tap the ESC key and then you will see a F9 boot options menu (amongst other menu options) which you can select from there.

Paul

Tutor
nottheusualtoda
Message 3 of 21 (20,057 Views)

Thanks Paul but the problem is that the only Boot options on the Startup Menu are Windows Boot and the Hitachi Hard Drive. If I press F10 when starting my PC I get a different Boot start menu with more options but whatever I do, the PC ignores the bootable CD and goes straight to Windows. Feel there HP must have included something  that is causing this problem. I have tried two bootable DVD's that I know are good and also Windows 7 install disk. I really don't know what to do about this - Mike

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 21 (20,052 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome, Mike.

I'm not liking what I am reading here...

Try this one last thing, and if that doesn't work, then I recommend you contact HP technical support for assistance, because either I'm clueless, or you may have a bad motherboard.

Clear the CMOS...

CAUTION: Do not change any jumper setting while the computer is on. Damage to the motherboard can result.

Clearing the CMOS settings
This motherboard has a jumper to clear the Real Time Clock (RTC) RAM in CMOS.
  1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
  2. Move the jumper to from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 5-6, then move the jumper back to the default position.
  3. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

Paul

Tutor
nottheusualtoda
Message 5 of 21 (20,013 Views)

I cannot find a diagram of the H-Joshua-H61-uATX motherboard that labels the components. I can only find the photograph of it on the HP website and this is too small and nothing is labelled. Do you know where I can find a layout diagram of this motherboard please? Then I will hopefully be able to identify the CMOS jumpers - Mike

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 21 (20,012 Views)

Hi, Mike:

Here is a photo.

Photograph of motherboard

I believe you can see those jumpers on the lower right side of the picture right abovr the 4 SATA data connector ports.  You can see the two blue jumpers there.

Paul

Tutor
nottheusualtoda
Message 7 of 21 (19,987 Views)

Resetting CMOS unfortuately didn't help. But I have tumbled on a very laborious method of booting from bootable media. This in itself may provide a clue as to the cause of the problem. Firstly I must tell you that no matter what I do the Windows Boot Manger Screen appears at start up, saying 'Choose an operating system'. There is actually

no choice, only the default Windows 7. Changing the BIOS order does not stop this screen coming up first. None of the tweaks of boot .ini suggested on various forums, prevent it happening.

Here is what I have to do to boot from a bootable disk. I have changed the BIOS start order so that the ATAPI CD drive is the first item. I have a bootable CD already in the drive. When the aforementioned Windows Boot Manager screen appears, I press escape. Then when it comes to a prompt again, I again press escape. And lo and behold it boots from the CD in the drive. 

All comments welcome. -Mike

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 21 (19,985 Views)

Hi, Mike:

I wouldn't have any comments to add other than to say I'm glad you got the thing to boot from the optical drive one way or the other.

Paul

Distinguished Professor
jaco1x4
Message 9 of 21 (19,968 Views)

[ Edited ]

H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820 processor. 16 GB DDR3, PC3 -12800 Ram. AMI bios(UEFI), Version 2.14.1219 (current).
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburg) Beats Audio. AMD Graphics, Radeon HD 7570 1GB.

My first question is, is this a new system?

I have the same problem with an HP 1380t unit. It is about 45 days old and has a UEFI Bios. My issue is currently being looked at by HP. My current issues are limited to creating a Win 7 repair Disk and adding a second SATA hard Drive.

I had to return the system to a US, HP service center and had the mainboard replaced and a new HD installed ( this system is less than two monts old) but when the system was returned to me, there were other issues. The current issues are not relevant to this thread. Prior issues were, in addition to below, I could not add a second internal HD. The action of phyiscally adding the drive was fine, but I could not boot the system to the original factory drive No matter what I did, the system would boot to the new internal drive.. Obviously, I could not format the new drive if I could not boot to the fully configured , Windows 7 factory drive.. I used SATA 1,3,4,5 and swapped the factory drive (SATA 0 to SATA 1), thus placing the new drive on SATA 0 to no avail. 

I think, and I am not an expert by any means, there is a problem with Microsoft's implementaion of EFI Bios boot configuration when creating bootable media, using Win 7 utilities within the control panel applet (Backup and Restore) to create bootable CD-DVD media to cover your arse when Windows 7 will not boot. The Win 7 Repair disk will not boot regardless of what the user does.Reconfiguring boot orders in Bios or disabling drives in BIos does not fix the problem.

I have queried MS Technet and have not found any viable solutions. There were suggested  workarounds of questionable success but, why should a user have to jump through technical hoops to successfully solve a problem that should not exist in the first place. Win 7 Backup and Restore is a significant subsystem of this operating system and should function as expected. Win 7 Backup and Restore (creating an image of the operating system,at a certain point in time, which can be used to avoid having to do a factory restore) should work out of the box.

Here is an analogy: You buy a car and it has reverse on the gear shift, When you put it in reverse, it does not back up. Is there something wrong????

I noticed you mentioned Acronis. Well, I have purchsed Acronis 13 (Curent version) and unsuccessfully used this program to clone the factory drive. When you boot to the cloned drive, it Bluescreens at boot. I have also selected safe boot with no luck. I also tried Norton Ghost 15 (current version) and it fails to clone the 100 Mb system EFI boot partition at the beginning of the factory drive. The clone created by ghost will not even try to boot., " Non-system boot disk error".

Every thing I have tried has resulted in a brick wall.

One last comment, I have deviated, some what, from your post, but I believe your issues are directly related to my problems and we have a connection

Have you tried to add a second internal hard drive to your sytem?

You may be in for a bad surprise.

I want to be perflectly clear on this final, and pertinant fact: I purchased an HP 560Z CTO in April of 2011 and I have had ZERO problems. Kudos to HP!! It is a workhorse. It is a FANTASTIC system. I have never had to contact HP Support with respect to this system. That is why I recently bought the 1380t.

I hope HP can help to solve your, as well as my, and I suspect many other use'rs, ( not realizing they may have problems), issues with respect  to booting removable media and adding internal hard drives. 

This is the catch 22, you buy a new HP or, I suspect Dell, Lenovo, or whatever.  No problems, the system runs great for months or years.. And then (WHACK) you can't boot the system. Panic sets in,... you try to fix the problem , but nothing works. If your lucky and it happens while your in warranty, maybe the manufacturer will pick up the tab, IF it's a HD failure, You get a new drive from whomever. The drive is clean. You don't purchase or failed to create Factory Recovery Disks. Aha, you did create disks but when you try to use them, they fail. You purchase disks for system recovery from the manufacturer and they fail.

Why do the recovery disks fail? Why do all efforts to save your butt fail?  Noone is accountable.(Microsft-HP-AMI or the Mainboard manufacturer).

What do you do??

Jaco1x4

Good Luck!

Errare humanum est.
Tutor
nottheusualtoda
Message 10 of 21 (19,871 Views)

Re: Booting from a CD or DVD with HP Pavilion p6-2260ea desktop

First tks for your thoughts. They are relevant. My PC is only ten days old. I am in England but the models are basically the same as in the US and the Pavilion p-2260 has been sold in the US also. It has Windows 7 64bit.

I purchased from a large chain of computer stores and HP say that they should handle all warranty matters. That must be a contractual matter, and for the price HP sold at, they have passed on support costs to the chain. So because you can deal directly with HP you have a much better chance of getting this solved than I have.

The only concern I have is that the PC will only boot from bootable media if I use a convoluted workaround. Otherwise the PC boots to the Windows Boot menu every time. It asks me to choose an operating system even though I have only the one. There are supposed solutions to this on the internet for this, but none of them work for me.

My opinion is that the implementation of the UEFI boot is not correct in some way. Windows 7 has been around a longish time now and it is unlikely to sudddenly show a fault like this. Maybe this BIOS is newer and has a bug. I Googled a lot without success in finding anything to support my view. I did find that in the past HP has issued UEFI BIOS updates, so I can only hope they will do so as a solution for this problem. I did find this link which you may find of interest http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=cp-107839-1&cc=uk&dlc=en&lc=en...

I suppose the problem could be something to do with the CD/DVD drive, in spite of the fact that one can access media loaded to it. But if it occurs in laptops and notebooks as well it would rule out this theory applying tomy desktop drive.

As regards Acronis it worked fine on my last PC and this was running Windows 7 64bit too. In fact I booted from a recovery CD 2/3 times and recovered from a backup on an external hard drive.

I will be backing up a full disk image with Acronis. But I don't want to risk doing a complete restore. I will have to take it on trust I guess. The worry is whether if I need the backup I will be able to boot from the recovery CD.

Let's help we can jointly find a solution to this.

Mike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation