Question

01 Student
Student
Message 1 of 3 (4,779 Views)

Can I change my windows 7 x64 to windows 7 x32 or XP x32?

[ Edited ]

My HP Desktop came preloaded with win7 x64 Home. But my old programs will not run on a 64 bit OS. Can I download a copy of win7 x32 or XP x32 to install on my new HP desktop?

Win7 is nice and works much better the Vista, But the x64 OS's still have compatibility problems with older 32 bit programs. I have used XP mode on another HP PC with win7 pro and is a joke. With 2 OS's working at the same time it just slows every thing down.

Provost
old_geekster
Message 2 of 3 (4,763 Views)

Re: Can I change my windows 7 x64 to windows 7 x32 or XP x32?

[ Edited ]

You would have to buy a full copy of Win7, 32-bit, if you wanted to change the OS.  HP will not provide it for you.  Also, if you had a problem when using the Recovery Discs, it would take your system back to the original setup; including Win7, 64-bit.

You don't mention the model of your computer, but if it has more than 3GB of memory, you would lose the use of any memory over the 3GB.  This is the amount supported by any 32-bit OS.  This is a good reason to stick with 64-bit.

HP Phoenix ENVY 810-135qe - i7-4770K (liquid cooled); 8 GB memory; GT 640 (4 GB), SSD (Samsung EVO 840-500 GB); 600W PSU; Win 7 Pro

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say 'Thanks'**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Message 3 of 3 (4,740 Views)

Re: Can I change my windows 7 x64 to windows 7 x32 or XP x32?

Actually it probably can be done if you have the install disk.  If the OS came preinstalled like you said, then probability is poor. I have not tried, but if you know someone that has the Windows 7 install disk, give it a try. I understand the retail key is good for either 32bit or 64bit.  I have not heard a definate answer on OEM.  If it is going to work, a choice will be given right up close to the beginning for 32 bit install.   Also, what old_geekster says is true on the memory values and the Recovery Disks. AND the existing install will have to be dumped.  It cannot convert from the 64bit install to the 32bit install or visa versa.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation