Question

Honor Student
Andrew_CLT
Message 1 of 6 (681 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot recover Windows 7 desktop after replacing hard drive

I bought a new HP Pavillion Elite (HPE-240f) in August 2010. A week ago my hard drive failed SMART short self-test during routine hardware diagnostics. I installed a new hard drive of the same size - 1 TB, and could never make it work properly. I tried the following (in this order).

1. Using a System Repair Disk, I recovered the system from an earlier image (which I made soon after buying, installing my own software and configuring everything). It worked, but then I noticed that Windows Update was not working. I ran various Microsoft diagnostic tools and discovered that some (unspecified) system files were corrupt or missing. All the fixes I tried did not work. I ran extensive hardware diagnostics, but no problems whatsoever were found.

2. I tried to restore the system to factory defaults using the factory image on partition D. At first it seemed to be working, but at the last moment when the system was already starting, I first saw a message on screen that Setup was starting services and then got a warning saying that services failed because of (unspecified) issues with hardware.

3. I tried to restore the system from system recovery discs and got a message "The system recovery discs do not support this computer."

4. I found this Cyberlink utility on HP website, dealing with precisely this issue. I created a CD, tried it and it did not work.

5. I found this document on HP website, saying that if you replace a hard drive with 512-byte sectors with a new Advanced Format (AF) drive (with 4096-byte sectors) and your system was manufactured before October 2010 (like mine was), you need to get new recovery discs from HP. I thought that I finally found the root of all my problems (since the new drive is indeed AF and the old one is not) and ordered recovery discs from HP.

6. The discs arrived today, and I noticed that the software build number (for Windows 7 version) is almost the same as on the computer except that the last digit is 9 on discs and 6 on the computer - I assume it's an update to deal the with AF hard drive issue. However I keep getting "The system recovery discs do not support this computer" error, whether I use the CyberLink Recovery Discs utility or not. To be on the safe side, I even used a brand new hard drive (again 1 TB) right out of the box (never partioned or installed it before) and connected the original keyboard that came with the computer (I also disconnected everything except monitor, keyboard and mouse). Still, I keep getting the same message. Just out of curiousity I tried putting back the original hard drive (admittedly, not in best shape, although the system still starts from it), and still could not recover the system.

What else can I try?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 6 (672 Views)

Re: Cannot recover Windows 7 desktop after replacing hard drive

Enter BIOS and check to see if any system info is missing-serial number,etc.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 6 (671 Views)

[ Edited ]

An alternative to try.>If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 license key attached to tower , you can download a Windows 7 ISO file to burn to a DVD. The version must match the one listed on the Microsoft COA sticker. e.g Home Premium

Link to the Windows 7 ISO file downloads: HERE

Get> ImgBurn to burn the iso image to DVD using slow burn speed.Guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here

Or use the Windows 7 USB/DVD tool to convert the ISO file to a Windows installation on DVD or USB flash drive.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
Andrew_CLT
Message 4 of 6 (631 Views)

On this model BIOS does not really show much information.

Honor Student
Andrew_CLT
Message 5 of 6 (630 Views)

Thanks! That worked. Although I suspect there's something wrong with BIOS. Everywhere I look (including msinfo32) the product model is missing. Also, wheh I tried to have my computer detected on this website, I got a reply that my product could not be found. And yes, I downloaded and reinstalled BIOS several times.

Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 6 (616 Views)

Your BIOS must be missing critical info. It would require service at HP to fix it. Hopefully the Windows 7 you installed will be acceptable for your use. If you need your Support page for any drivers it is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4169...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation