Question

Top Student
M1carbine666
Message 1 of 8 (748 Views)

Cant Install Operating system.

Origionaly my harddrive and cd/dvd drive died.  I replaced both of them and While using HP's recovery CD's for Vista Home premium 64 bit they loaded without any problems it partitioned the new HD and loaded all the origional files (or atleast that what it said it did with 100%)

The computer restarts and then a window pops up saying Windows could not complete the instalation.To install windows on this computer, restart the installation.

Only thing i can think of (most likely not even the problem) is that my origional hardrive was a 750 gig seagate , they sold me a 1T westerndigital ? and its not supported or something ? Cant imagine thats the problem bc they wouldnt have sold me a non compatible HD when they new all my system info ?

PC desktop model # M9340F

Im going to do as it says and attemp the recovery again if theres anything im missing pls share.

Grad Student
neil_fl
Message 2 of 8 (734 Views)

Re: Cant Install Operating system.

im thinking it didnt complete because the hdd size was different and got the recovery messed up ?

the size of the hdd's must be same as your original state for a recovery

Vidya
Message 3 of 8 (731 Views)

Please follow the steps mentioned in the following weblink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01684708&tmp_task=useCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=u...

Post recovery, I would suggest you update the BIOS to the latest version from the following weblink:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL34762/pv-86212-1/sp46442.exe

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Top Student
M1carbine666
Message 4 of 8 (729 Views)

I did all those steps inorder as they were asked with no issues.  Im  attempting the startup reapir tool.

Top Student
M1carbine666
Message 5 of 8 (706 Views)

Still no luck :smileysad:

I did the recovery process again went thru 100% i followed all the steps exactly.

A command box pops up it  loads some stuff at the end it says suceeded.

Restarts (on its own ,looks great so far)

Then a pop us says Windows could not complete the instalation.To install windows on this computer, restart the installation. (with its green vista background and spinning blue circle) (ive done it twice perfect recovery (100%) up to the same issue both times)

The computer dosnt even need to boot from the cd's any more it now boots from the HD

So what could be going on ?

Top Student
M1carbine666
Message 6 of 8 (695 Views)

:(

[ Edited ]

:smileyindifferent:

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 7 of 8 (685 Views)

All of this has been caused by HP using a "tattoo" system on the hardware. That is why I perform a "clone" of the OS. Every change anyone performs with their original hardware puts them into your situation. It is all caused by the tattoo.

Once you make a change, there is NO WAY you can use the original Recovery Discs. This is spelled out by HP.

1) When replacing a motherboard, run the Motherboard Tattoo and then the Hard Drive DMI Utility.

2) When replacing a hard drive, run the Hard Drive DMI Utility.

3) When receiving a code purple configuration error, run the Motherboard Tattoo and then the Hard Drive DMI Utility.

http://go2techonline.com/Documents/Tattoo_DMI_Utility_Instructions_v5.pdf

Read the last page, perform the steps.

Sorry I was late into the discussion, but I hope it was not too late.

To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. 4GB RAM, ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W. 1T HD SATA 3Gb/s
Custom Asus P8P67, I7-2600k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX660 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Custom Asus P8Z77, I7-3770k, 16GB RAM, WIN7 Pro 64bit, EVGA GTX670 2GB, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
Both Customs use Rosewill Blackhawk case.
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus
Intern
dvon
Message 8 of 8 (642 Views)

Tattooing my new HDD didn't do a thing. This system is 13 months old, has fried 2 hard drives and now is just barely out of warranty. So I buy a new HDD and now am under the impression I am left without an OS for this motherboard / chipset even though part of what I paid for is for an Operating System for the lifetime of the chipset and motherboard.

A hard drive failure should not cause all of us to forfeit out OS license, but apparently to HP it is a moneymaking operation for them. They will likely tell you to buy a HDD from them for 350 dollars for a 750 gig SATA Western Digital Blue Caviar like they suggested to mer and a few others on here.

Your best bet is to install Linux or just pony up 130 bucks for Win 7 Home and be done with HP. They don't seem to care about this known problem in MILLIONS of computers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation