Question

Top Student
dluders
Message 1 of 3 (77 Views)
Accepted Solution

Changed Failed Video Card on HP m8400f Desktop; Can't Install Driver

My HP Pavilion m8400f Desktop computer's NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card failed; replaced the faulty video card with a NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 video card.  Display is back, but computer is now SUPER SLOW.  I can't get access to enough RAM to install the new card's driver CD!  Tried Safe Mode -- it could not install the driver software from the CD.  Simple operations (like opening Windows Explorer) is a 3-minute deal.  The HP Startup Repair utility is taking forever.  I want to run Norton Antivirus, but the computer is SO SLOW that it takes a hour to see my desktop icons.  I put my old video card back; the graphics were shredded like "The Matrix" and the Startup performance was just as slow.  Any suggestions (besides buying a new computer)?  Can't the basic Safe Mode functions without the video card? 

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 3 (73 Views)

Re: Changed Failed Video Card on HP m8400f Desktop; Can't Install Driver

According to the spec page for that model, it has onboard graphics, so try starting up with no added video card and connect the monitor to the VGA port.  See if it works at regular tasks such as web browsing.  If it still does not work OK, then there is something else wrong.  Come back with any news on progress.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Top Student
dluders
Message 3 of 3 (42 Views)

Re: Changed Failed Video Card on HP m8400f Desktop; Can't Install Driver

(Sigh) Since my 6-year-old computer's CPU is running at 100% (even with only one application running), I decided to cut my losses and buy a new HP Envy 700-327c Desktop PC.  In the meantime, I'm doing backups of my old PC's files on an external hard drive; what used to take 10 minutes is literally taking 10 DAYS because the CPU is running SO SLOW.  Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation