Question

Top Student
Sasquatch1229
Message 1 of 10 (10,195 Views)

Clean installed Windows 7, Need USB 2.0 Drivers

Hi,

I have an Hp Pavilion Slimline s3600z, i recently did a clean install of Windows 7 (to get rid of Vista) and my external hard drive keeps complaining that it's not on usb 2.0, but the ports are compatible, and it's running really slow. i believe it's the windows 7 generic drivers dated 6-21-06 causing the issue but i already downloaded all the drivers from hp online and there were none for usb. Also tried to see if windows update driver would find the right one online but it came back with already have the latest

Teacher
BrentW
Message 2 of 10 (10,177 Views)

Re: Clean installed Windows 7, Need USB 2.0 Drivers

Greetings,

I believe this update will solve your issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-78469-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Good luck
Brent 

Good Luck
Brent
***** Please select issue confirmed on the post of the person whom recommended the solution that fixed your issue. This way future board members can quickly access the solution****
Top Student
Sasquatch1229
Message 3 of 10 (10,175 Views)

Hi Brent,

thanks for getting back to me so quickly. i had already installed the host controller file, i just tried again for the hell of it and it came up with an error. Correct me if i'm wrong but is the host controller under ieee 1394 bus host controllers, if so that driver is also generic windows. i just tried to update it through windows, same outcome, already have the newest 1

Teacher
BrentW
Message 4 of 10 (10,168 Views)

Greetings,

In your device manager, if you scroll down to the bottom there is a Universal Serial Buss Controllers tree in there. That is drivers that you need to ensure are up to date. There are more than one. For example, on mine there are 8. That update was supposed to fix "Resolves an issue with the system not responding or behaving abnormally when a USB device is connected.".  IEEE 1394 is the standard for what has been dubbed "Firewire" in the computer industry. 

What error did the file give you when you attempted to run it? 

At this point, it might be worth trying to download, install, and run the HP advisor software which provides for the checking of HP authorized device drivers and software for your computer. This is located at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-85800-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Good luck
Brent

PS: Device manager is under Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device manager 

PSS: If I don't respond right away, I most likely went to bed. I will respond as soon as I see any response. I hope to assist you in resolving this issue quickly and accurately.

Good Luck
Brent
***** Please select issue confirmed on the post of the person whom recommended the solution that fixed your issue. This way future board members can quickly access the solution****
Top Student
Sasquatch1229
Message 5 of 10 (10,165 Views)

ok, so i verified the version of my host controller drivers version and they match the 1 on the hp site, so that's not it. i'll try the hp advisor and see

Top Student
Sasquatch1229
Message 6 of 10 (10,159 Views)

So i got the hp advisor and there are no alerts. i went ahead and ran this program called driver whiz (for the hell of it) and it says that my usb mass storage device driver for only the external and my usb stick is out of date, saying new version is dated 10-27-10 and the one i have installed is 6-21-06. The only problem is that i can't find the driver and the program wants me to pay to give it to me (not gonna do that).

Teacher
BrentW
Message 7 of 10 (10,139 Views)

Greetings,

I agree with you about having to pay for the driver service. If you post your make and model # of your external device I can attempt to locate your drivers manually for you. In addition, you may want to look into your device manager, and uninstall your external device (Make sure that you do not check the box that states delete driver) and reboot your computer. This should reinstall your device driver for you after rebooting the PC. I believe that you already stated you had, but ensure that you are up to date on the patches, and have Service Pack 1 installed. I will be able to assist further after receiving the model # of your device to check for conflicts.

Good luck
Brent 

Good Luck
Brent
Top Student
Sasquatch1229
Message 8 of 10 (10,134 Views)

i uninstalled the device's and rebooted, same driver went back in but my external drive (seagate st3300601cbrk) is now running 15 mb/s which i believe is just above the min. for usb 2.0. i believe that's ok, but my brand new flash drive (sandisk sdcz36-064g) with the same driver and reinstalled only runs 3.5 mb/s which i believe is in the range of usb 1.1 not 2.0. unless i'm wrong about the usb transfer rates. i did do a search already for drivers at there respected manufactures which both state they use the windows driver. i believe the driver lookup program is only trying to con me into buying it cause it dont look like that driver exsist unless it's some unverified 1 by a 3rd party (definitly won't go down that path). or maybe they are running up to speed now, just need a double check on those #'s

Teacher
BrentW
Message 9 of 10 (10,131 Views)

[ Edited ]

Greetings,
I am glad to hear they are at least operating now. Remember that the speeds are theoretical. There is a limitation that is placed on by the quality of device, and the cable connecting between them as well.

Good Luck
Brent
Student
shrikantsaraf
Message 10 of 10 (2,282 Views)

Re: Clean installed Windows 7, Need USB 2.0 Drivers,umax astra 5800 driver

plz help me given for umax astra 5800 scanner drivers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation