Question

Top Student
bmatt
Message 1 of 9 (1,242 Views)
Accepted Solution

ComboFix problem preventing Windows 7 from starting

I recently had a virus, and was instructed to use ComboFix on my HP p6310f running Windows 7 Home Premium. ComboFix messed up Windows in some way to prevent it from starting (based on what I've seen from a few Google searches). What I would like to know is about HP's system recovery tools. Unfortunately I was not smart enough to think to create restore points :smileysad: and I either am going to have to get a Windows install disc to use the recovery console or use HP's tool on the "Factory Image" partition. Will the option that restores the hard drive to it's "original settings" from that tool do what I hope it does and put a clean Windows install on, or will it simply wipe the drive? 

Thanks!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 9 (1,209 Views)

Re: ComboFix problem preventing Windows 7 from starting

HP restore will wipe the drive and all your personal data, then reinstall the OS and partitions to original factory condition, then you would need to do quite a few Windows Updates to get it fully patched again.

What happens exactly when you try to start the PC, be specific please, maybe we can repair it.

Top Student
bmatt
Message 3 of 9 (1,207 Views)

[ Edited ]

Well as far as I can tell (knowing very little about bootloaders), it goes through the system bootloader, showing the options for boot menu, system recovery, etc, then when it attempts to go to Windows, where it would normally show a green loading bar saying Microsoft Corporation, it shows a battleship gray loading bar labled "Windows is loading files..." which it only does when it goes to the Microsoft System Recovery tool. It loads the Microsoft System Recovery tool, which fails to find any solutions, then immediately thereafter loads the HP Recovery tool.

EDIT- Also I have tried hitting F8 throughout the entire boot sequence, Windows Safe Mode isn't available.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 9 (1,203 Views)

Do you have any files you need to save?

I so read this article on how to back them up, once this is done I would do a full HP restore.

Top Student
bmatt
Message 5 of 9 (1,200 Views)

Okay, sounds good. Thanks!

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 6 of 9 (1,197 Views)

Once started, HP Recovery is a lengthy process, it will reboot several times on its own, do not interupt the process or attempt to use you PC during this process.

After the Recovery is completed.

Install or Activate your Anti Virus Software

Do a manual Windows Update several times until there are no more updates to install, reboot when asked to.

Use HP Support Assistand to update all your HP software and Drivers.

Top Student
bmatt
Message 7 of 9 (1,191 Views)

If I backup all of my hard drive to an external drive, could any viruses (if any are possibly still active) on that backup affect my new install?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 8 of 9 (1,189 Views)

Scan your backup with good AV software and some malware scanners before restoring it to the new system.

Install free MBAM, run the program and go to the Update tab and update it, then go to the Scanner Tab and do a full scan of the backup drive, select and remove anything it finds.

When MBAM is done install SAS free version, run a full scan of the backup drive, remove what it automatically selects.

These last 2 are not AV softwares like Norton, they are on demand scanners that only scan for nasties when you run the program and will not interfere with your installed AV, these can be run once a day or week to ensure you are not infected. Be sure you update them before each daily-weekly scan.

Top Student
bmatt
Message 9 of 9 (1,187 Views)

Okie doke. thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation