Question

Intern
scjconsulting
Message 1 of 36 (18,260 Views)

Crash "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary process..."

I also posted this on the Microsoft TechNet Forum:

Crash "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor within the allocated time interval"

Brand new Pavilion Elite m9650f, i7 920 CPU & 6GB memory, running Vista 64-Bit SP1.  After bringing up system and either not logging in or just logged on, I get the blue screen crash sometimes.  Sometimes the system hangs, forcing me to crash it.  And sometimes nothing happens.  After the crash or hang, the system has no more problems that day.  This machine is not used for games.

Teacher
LaserGuy
Message 2 of 36 (18,248 Views)

Re: Crash "A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary process..."

Ok so don't quote me on this but what it seems to indicate here, that there is an issue with the secondary core of your dual core processor typically programs are allotted specific amount of time to run in a processor. I imagine if a program tried to access the processor without an time allotment then it would likely result in a BSOD espcially if it was an OS critical process. Seems to me you may have a processor iss or possible motherboard if you are in warranty I would contact the manufacterer.
Honor Student
rtisserand
Message 3 of 36 (18,222 Views)

I am experiencing the same exact issue on a brand new m9680fr model, under Vista 64-bit SP1. Tried to install Windows 7 RC, the same issue occurs too.
I have run any possible diagnostics / hardware test and everything passes OK (including HP Diagnostics).
Any updated BIOS/drivers update planned at HP ?

Intern
scjconsulting
Message 4 of 36 (18,194 Views)

This suggestion was received on Lockups, Freezes, & Hangs forum:

"I would test your memory and processor using HP hardware Diagnostics (click Start, Help and Support, Troubleshooting Tools, and then test hardware...)

If the tests find bad memory and your are still in warranty HP will replace it for you.

Microsoft also released Hotfix 967170 for a clock watchdog timout error (essentially the same error) and other issues. You might want to try that update if the hardware tests do not fail."

My current response:

An update:

I ran the full set of HP tests with no problems.  I have installed the Hotfix and shall see what happens over the next several days.

:smileywink:

Stephen

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 5 of 36 (18,033 Views)

For that particular error - I'd try the hotfix mentioned in this string - MS KB967170.

HP has released an updated BIOS as well - go to the software driver download page for your PC model - there you should find BIOS version 5.13.

-dm (an HP employee, but the time/efforts/comments here are mine, not my employers)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Intern
scjconsulting
Message 6 of 36 (17,960 Views)

I installed the bios update and the hotfix and it went 3 days without a problem, but hung today.

:smileysad:

Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 7 of 36 (17,958 Views)

Not quite sure what to suggest - if you get a blue screen - please make note of the error message - quite often the error code can point to the failing component.  You might need to go into the control panel startup options to turn off auto-restart when it crashes.  Also, tere is a new Intel LAN driver in the posting queue but I don't see it on hp.com or the ftp site yet - I know it can resolve a blue screen error - you might want to keep an eye out for that.

I just got a 9600t system myself (am typing this from it) - I installed all the default updates from MS, but didn't try the hotfix or the BIOS update.  Not too long after using it, I had a black screen- am assuming the PC sort of hung after resuming.  I applied the new BIOS and I'll see if that resolves that particular issue, so far so good.  I intend to use this for my main PC and for recording all my TV shows, so it should be a pretty good indicator of what resolves what.

-dm (an HP employee, but the time/comments/suggestions here are mine, not my employers).

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Associate Professor
c0rnel
Message 8 of 36 (17,883 Views)

I had this problem when I was overclocking my processor and not giving it enough voltage in the BIOS or ram settings were not correct.

Try resetting BIOS settings and also make sure you have the latest BIOS. Be careful with BIOS flashes they casn be risky.

By the way: I don't have an HP pc.

Student
djzakker
Message 9 of 36 (17,633 Views)

FYI - I've been battling this problem for six months now.  My pavillion d5000z has been through every test, every type of recovery, AND has been send back to HP to be fixed twice now.  The same error occurred within minutes of taking it out of the box last week.  after wasting a few more hours of my life on the phone with tech support, all they will do is send me another box to send it in for repairs.  this is the last time I ever buy an HP , hopefully the hotfix works - Dell forever.
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 10 of 36 (17,624 Views)

Rule #1-  Return item for a full refund if it is defective.

Rule #2-  Never violate rule #1.  Time is $.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation