Question

Honor Student
MCF91
Message 1 of 7 (1,016 Views)

Destructive and system recovery

Hi, i have a Compaq Presario SR1639UK desktop, and i am intending to have a fresh new start. I want to restore the pc to how it was when i first bought it. As i know there are two options for this, Destructive and system recovery. However, i was wondering which one would be right for me. Would a destructive recovery whipe out my OS aswell? or just reinstall it?

Thanks in advance!

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 7 (1,004 Views)

Re: Destructive and system recovery

Restoring the PC to "Factory fresh" is destructive restore but read here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07145&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=1147958

CAUTION: A destructive recovery will format the hard drive. This will delete all the information on the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP and the original software that came with the computer.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Honor Student
MCF91
Message 3 of 7 (1,002 Views)

So when i do this My XP home will still be usable, just as if i were to buy the exact same pc again? I am backing up roughly 10GB of info on my USB's which i will really need, including drivers

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 7 (988 Views)

[ Edited ]

MCF91 wrote:

So when i do this My XP home will still be usable, just as if i were to buy the exact same pc again? I am backing up roughly 10GB of info on my USB's which i will really need, including drivers

Yes, destructive Recovery takes the machine back to factory state. If you haven't made Recovery Disks_you might want to look at the thread HERE Booting with a Recovery set is another good way to format hdd and reinstall XP.Very important to have in the event the hdd fails and has to be replaced!

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
MCF91
Message 5 of 7 (962 Views)

How much space will these take on each of my discs ( 8 of them ) and roughly how how will it take to burn + verify per disc?

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 6 of 7 (924 Views)

If it has told that it will take 8 CD's then the first 7 will be full (at least).  If there is a DVD drive on the computer, it would fit on one DVD at that pace.  It is unknown how long it will take, but if there are no back disks, it has to be done.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 7 (907 Views)

It will fill the cds and close them so no more data can be written to them even if the last one isn't full. I agree with "TheOldMan" who posted above_use a DVD and it shouldn't take more than 1 ,maybe 2 at most, and will be a lot faster to burn too. I have the best success with Sony dvds and always choose them to make Recovery set. Be sure to get DVD+R....do not get rewriteable disks which can be erased and reused. Recovery will not accept rewriteable cds or dvds.

This may seem like a chore at the moment, but consider what will happen when ,not if, your hdd fails and has to be replaced.You will need the Recovery set to reinstall XP.Hdds are the most common hardware to fail in a machine-usually within 5-7 years on a Desktop and even sooner in a Laptop.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation