Question

Honor Student
aprilcook505
Message 1 of 14 (2,882 Views)

Diagnostics Tool Test - says "No Bootable Drives Detected"

I have an HP Pavilion I bought at Sam's Club last year, no cds.  It crashed.  I tried the Recovery Program and it did nothing... would run for 8 hours.  I tried loading XP that I had, and it wouldn't load.  I ordered the Recovery Disk from HP and received those and tried to install.  When it gets to the window about "reformatting a drive" I select yes, and it comes up with an Error, with a lot of numbers, mostly zeros.  When I ran the Diagnostics Tool Test, it said the AMD Passed and the Memory Passed.  Then it came to the next section to diagnose, and came up with a code similar to "BIOS3-D, No Bootable Drives Detected."  Is that referring to my Hard Drive?  If so, what do I do?  Are they pretty easy to replace?

If not, what could it be?  Since it crashed 2 weeks ago, I haven't been able to get anything to load....

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 14 (2,880 Views)

Re: Diagnostics Tool Test - says "No Bootable Drives Detected"

Sounds like the hdd has died,not uncommon. Yes,they are very easy to replace, usually a couple of screws to remove,unplug 2 cables and slide the new hdd in. Boot with Recovery and you're off.

You will need a 3.5" desktop hdd probably SATA since the machine is fairly new. SATA is probably the only choice in local stores anyway, since the older IDE isn't used much anymore.SATA hdd's have a slim cable to the hdd, unlike the wide grey cable on older IDE hdds. If in doubt remove the hdd and take it with you to the store.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
aprilcook505
Message 3 of 14 (2,873 Views)

Thanks.  I guess the hdd you're referring to is the Hard Drive?  Great idea on taking it out and taking it with me.  About how much do they cost?

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 14 (2,871 Views)

Sorry, yes hdd stands for hard drive. You should be able to get one for around $80. For instance, here at Tigerdirect they have a 500 gb hdd for $50.00

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2795126&CatId=2459

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
aprilcook505
Message 5 of 14 (2,856 Views)

That's not too bad in price.

The Error Code I get when I'm in Recovery Manger and it tries to reformat the Hard Drive, is Error 0x40010020000100A.  "If this continues contact HP." 

Top Student
CPlumley2
Message 6 of 14 (1,728 Views)

I am getting a B10HD-3 "no bootable drives detected" too.

26 Months .... is NOT a long time for a hard drive to last ..

My system runs 24 / 7 and 4 weeks ago I woke up and found it off.

Sometimes on power up the HD light will flash like it does on start up or seeking / writing.

On the first start up after I Iet it sit overnight ... I was able to get the Diagnostic screen and the HD PASSED -- YA RIGHT and then boot path failed with the error above.

I rebooted it and the system ' recommended ' to do a repair ..  I did it an all was well until 2 days ago when while I was working the power just DIED ..

I think I will try the 2nd HD  power cable  and see what happens. Hopeing it is a power issue.

This totally sucks ... considering the age of this $1100.00 boat anchor sitting on my desk now.

Thankfully I have laptops and other desktops to use.

What do I need to buy? New HD I assume but what about my Win 7?

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 14 (1,726 Views)

@CPlumley

If you burned your Recovery Disks just boot from them after installing new hdd to reinstall.If you didn't burn your set ,you can order from HP for around $20>> Contact HP

Top Student
CPlumley2
Message 8 of 14 (1,721 Views)

[ Edited ]

THANK YOU ..

YES I burn them for every system i ordered ..

THANK YOU --

DUH HERE .... im just so upset with this being dead ..

I can not think straight ..... i am NOT HARDWARE MAN ... :smileyhappy:

I just called HP and they only sell 2 WD hard drives now ... so I guess I have to look around.

I still wonder if i will be able to read the damaged drive as a slave?  I have he data I just wonder.???

Provost
CherylG
Message 9 of 14 (1,716 Views)

You can use any retail SATA hdd,WD,Seagate,etc. Just be sure to get at least as large a capacity as the original hdd.Should be much less $ than ordering from HP.

You may still be able to get some of your files off the old hdd. I did this recently for a laptop belonging to a friends little sister. It wouldn't boot and she had loads of music. It was still just functional enough to read it when plugged into a usb adapter and attached to my desktop.I did have to work fast and get all of the files in one go cause those last read/copies of the hdd finished it off.

Top Student
CPlumley2
Message 10 of 14 (1,711 Views)

Thank You  Cheryl ...

what is "last read / copies "?

I was thinking of getting a 1T HD and the making the bad one a slave to see what I can get off of it ..

Burned out today ... but found a nice YouTube of the HD replacement ..

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01761263&tmp_task=setupCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc...

Maybe early next week I'll hit Staples and get one

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation