Does the HP Pavilion need the LED indicator? (1490 Views)
Intern
JackdaShack
Message 1 of 13 (1,490 Views)
Accepted Solution

Does the HP Pavilion need the LED indicator?

I don't know if this program is significant or not. All the LED's are on the side where I can't see them anyway. It probably doesn't use much resource but is it needed?  What is your suggestion.  Thumb up or down?  Thanks, Jack  dashack

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
Teacher
mdklassen
Message 2 of 13 (1,476 Views)

Re: Does the HP Pavilion need the LED indicator?

It's the circuitry on the motherboard that controls the LED lamps, not the installed Operating System (Windows or Linux or ...) that does.  So, yes, resources are consumed, but it's probably 1% of 1% of 1% of the motherboard's resources, and less than 1% of 1% of the wattage of the computer's power-supply to light the LEDs.

There ain't any such thing as a free lunch -- Robert Heinlein.

Intern
JackdaShack
Message 3 of 13 (1,473 Views)

mdklassen wrote:

It's the circuitry on the motherboard that controls the LED lamps, not the installed Operating System (Windows or Linux or ...) that does.  So, yes, resources are consumed, but it's probably 1% of 1% of 1% of the motherboard's resources, and less than 1% of 1% of the wattage of the computer's power-supply to light the LEDs.

There ain't any such thing as a free lunch -- Robert Heinlein.

Thanks mr. md~   I always try to check out anything on the icon tasktray. This program for the LED indicators, and I have no idea why they would have a program for that?, is there so if it's not needed I tend to remove them. But if it's of little resource I guess I'll leave it. I still am not sure what it does. Would it mean that there's a program just to run the little HD lights and those types, etc. I have tried to Google it to see what it's all about but no real value there. I may try again.  Thanks again!

I tried writing my signature in this box on the screen but it doesn't seem to work? :v lol
Teacher
mdklassen
Message 4 of 13 (1,464 Views)

> I still am not sure what it does.

If you click on the icon with the SECOND mouse-button (usually the RIGHT mouse-button), does it offer some options, e.g., "exit" or "help" ?

If so, click "exit", while watching the LEDs, to see if they continue to light-up when there is disk-activity or network-activity or whatever.

Or, click "help" to get help about what the program does for you.

Intern
JackdaShack
Message 5 of 13 (1,460 Views)

mdklassen wrote:
> I still am not sure what it does.

If you click on the icon with the SECOND mouse-button (usually the RIGHT mouse-button), does it offer some options, e.g., "exit" or "help" ?

If so, click "exit", while watching the LEDs, to see if they continue to light-up when there is disk-activity or network-activity or whatever.

Or, click "help" to get help about what the program does for you.

You'd think right?  No, click, double click, right click left click nothing.  The only option win8 gives you with all icons is hide them or show them when they are active. But you are right, many programs I can EXIT. This gives nothing ???  A puzzle that even Google gives me no real explanation. Like I mention I think above, you can even see the LED lights anyway, they are the side of the upright laptop called a desktop. But I like it. lol  jack

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 6 of 13 (1,450 Views)

Hello JackdaShack,

I can't find that program on the HP Pavilion I have, although I don't have an all in one it's a slimline so I'm having a hard time figuring out what the program is used for and what it does.

Does the program show up under Add / remove programs? If so create a restore point, uninstall it. After the uninstall monitor your system for a bit and see if anything changes if it doesn't your good, if it does go back to the restore point and do a restore.

You can also go into your Control Panel, then go to notification are icons and tell it to not display the icon. I know that doesn't solve the problem, but at least gets rid of the pesky icon from the tray. (hopefully).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Intern
JackdaShack
Message 7 of 13 (1,448 Views)

HardBeatZ wrote:
Hello JackdaShack,

I can't find that program on the HP Pavilion I have, although I don't have an all in one it's a slimline so I'm having a hard time figuring out what the program is used for and what it does.

Does the program show up under Add / remove programs? If so create a restore point, uninstall it. After the uninstall monitor your system for a bit and see if anything changes if it doesn't your good, if it does go back to the restore point and do a restore.

You can also go into your Control Panel, then go to notification are icons and tell it to not display the icon. I know that doesn't solve the problem, but at least gets rid of the pesky icon from the tray. (hopefully).

Not in the Add/Remove. When I click on it a small "slider box" comes up above the time with a 1,A and a down arrow with a small horizontal line under the arrow, much like  I see on my tablet when downloading a program. Clicking on them each alone only makes the slider go away but I see nothing happening.  A mystery?  Google doesn't seem to tell me much either. 

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 8 of 13 (1,443 Views)

A mystery! Let's call in the Scooby gang!

I believe what you are looking at is actually the wireless notification for your keyboard.

The one will indicate whether or not Num lock is turned on
The capital A is the caps lock notification
The arrow is the Scroll lock notification.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
Intern
JackdaShack
Message 9 of 13 (1,437 Views)

:smileyhappy:  Impressed! That is exactly what it is. Now this should be the SOLUTION, I guess I jumped the gun above. Anyway to switch this to the real SOLUTION?  thanks again!  jack 

Distinguished Professor
HardBeatZ
Message 10 of 13 (1,436 Views)

I'll get it marked for you. For future reference as well you can always send anything to a moderator by using by going to Options and then going to "Report Inappropriate Content" this sends a message to a moderator, you can use this to send anything to a moderator.

1. Customer posts personal information on the boards (this is frowned upon, for the customers safety)
2. Incorrect solution marked as a solution or if you see something that a customer says it solved their problem and it wasn't marked as a solution you can ask a moderator to mark it
3. Finally as what it is labeled as and if there is anything inappropriate that is mentioned in the post.
- Friendship is magical.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation