Question

Top Student
whoever
Message 1 of 33 (69,769 Views)

Download recomended HP updates.

My presarion desktop routinely recommends updates for download and installation.  I would like to download them and possibly intall them later.  Why are they impossible to find?  I would like to download and NOT install "hp update" version 5.2 " and "Lightscribe System Software Update"  9.1MB.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 2 of 33 (69,725 Views)

Re: Download recomended HP updates.

Hi whoever,

You can find the same downloads on your product support page.

Go to www.hp.com/customercare and enter your product model number. This will take your to your support page which allows you to select what software and drivers you want.

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Top Student
whoever
Message 3 of 33 (69,718 Views)

Thank you for the response.  Unfortunately, I began at  www.hp.com/customercare; the recommended updates never seem to show up there. Doesn't HP have an Update Catalog site similar to that of Microsoft?

Professor
Mister_Do
Message 4 of 33 (69,658 Views)

Hi whoever,

Your updates from HP are specific to your PC model number. What is your model number?

...an HP employee just trying to help where I can, but not speaking on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
NanoGeek
Message 5 of 33 (69,467 Views)

I was just today offered "HP Update 5.2", for a HP Pavilion m7690y CTO. The update failed, and it is not among the listed updates for my computer.

Teacher
milesrf
Message 6 of 33 (69,442 Views)

See the thread for my recent d5200t problems.  I found that for some of the recent updates, you get better results if you first start the old HP Updates program manually (not using the regular automatic start; if it does not almost immediately start automatically; see your help file), and tell it to install only the HP Update 5.2 update.  At the end of that, restart Vista, start the new HP Update program manually, and tell it to install any other updates you want for now.  It will take at least a week to determine it that also fixes the problem for automatic starts of the HP Update program.

No good idea if that will also work on a m7690y, but it seems worth a try while you're waiting for a better answer.

Honor Student
NanoGeek
Message 7 of 33 (69,418 Views)

ZoneAlarm Pro 8.0.400.020 appears to have been implicated. HP Updates appears to do a lot of things that ZAP finds questionable: communicating w/ SMSS, ... trying to access physical memory. The odd thing was that ZAP complained about slightly different sets of things, ea time I tried to install HP Update 5.2. Finally Uninstalled HP Update 4.0.12.1, reinstalled it, and after a couple of tries (during which I let ZAP pause the install early on a warning dialog, and copied aside the *.msi and *.exe), I was then able to "Allow" on each ZAP warning dialog, and install of HP Update 5.2 completed.

Teacher
milesrf
Message 8 of 33 (69,408 Views)

I don't use ZoneAlarm Pro, so your problem may be different from mine.
Honor Student
cigalechanta
Message 9 of 33 (39,284 Views)

The box HP UPdate pops up with a chopped off right edge and no button to say yes I would like updates

Student
dtnguy
Message 10 of 33 (39,193 Views)

I get the same thing on my laptop.  What can be done to stop it?  I got no help from customer HP customer service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation