Re: Driver Backup Program (1860 Views)
Teacher
BNSFMike
Message 1 of 2 (1,905 Views)

Driver Backup Program

I read about a program called Double Drive in PC World magazine. It will list & print & save & restore your PC’s drivers. It is free & does not install on your PC. You can even run it from a USB thumb drive, which I did.

It is a zip program & was already d/l on my old PC. I copied the 6 unzipped files to a thumb drive. I then ran the .exe on the new PC and it listed 84 drivers. However most were Microsoft ones and & there were only 10 non-MS drivers on my system. Six that appeared to be original plus 4 more that got added when I installed my printer/copier and monitor. I checked the 6 original with the ones listed on HP’s website for my PC and they were identical, including the version numbers.

I printed out the list of the 10 non-MS drivers and also backed these up on the thumb drive. I also saved the text listing of the complete 84 drivers on the thumb drive. All this took a little over 125MB.

I d/l the program from the PC World website, but this appears to be the author’s website.
http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm

Note: there are two .exe files; dd.exe and ddc.exe. The ddc.exe is for command prompts according to the author’s forum, & I’m guessing you can just delete it. Just use the dd.exe app & all should work just fine.

Hopefully this will help if you are doing a clean install of Windows & are wondering which drivers will also have to get installed.

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 2 of 2 (1,860 Views)

Re: Driver Backup Program

Thanks for the great tip!!!

{---------- Please click the "White Kudos" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation