Question

Student
aroleflin
Message 1 of 4 (10,017 Views)

Driver download for a HP DesignJet 700 Plotter to Windows 7 O/S

Can anyone out there tell me how I can get a Driver download for a HP DesignJet 700 Plotter to load onto my new HP desktop that has a Windows 7 O/S   ???    I am not getting much help from HP.    Only a run around.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 4 (10,001 Views)

Re: Driver download for a HP DesignJet 700 Plotter to Windows 7 O/S

If they are not available on the HP website (see link below), then there are no W7 drivers for that model available from HP, you can try the Vista drivers if they are available, other than that about all you can do is try the "add printer" feature in W7, see if it can find drivers. If all this fails it is time to upgrade the printer.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Lookup?h_lang=en&h_cc=us&cc=us&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&h_client=S-A-R163...

Student
BillyV
Message 3 of 4 (9,799 Views)

It's a little tricky, but it can be done.  In general, when you start your PC press F8 until you reach the Advance Windows Boot page, then toggle the "driver signiture not required" feature.  Then continue to boot your PC and proceed to the HP driver download website - find the driver for the Designjet 700 windows XP version, and save it to a folder on your computer.  Next, with your Designjet connect to your PC and turned on, open the device manager by right clicking on the 'add a printer' section in the control panel.  Then right click on the printer and select the folder on your PC where you downloaded the XP driver.  (BTW,  I think the XP driver is the same as the Win2000 driver).   

The XP driver will work with Windows 7, or at least it has been working great for me the past week and I used it daily for work.  There will be some pop up alarms thru windows 7 when you try to do this but just ignore them. I did, and my new PC with Widows 7 and bullet-proof Designjet 700 are working great.  I'm convinced that HP does not want to produce new drivers for the newer O/S because they want you to buy a new plotter.      

Good luck.   

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 4 (8,170 Views)

For 64 bit systems you can download the XP x64 drivers from here, then unzip the files into a new folder.  Next go to the Devices and Printers folder, Add a Printer, select the proper port, then select "Have a Disk" and point to the folder where you unzipped the files.

This forum is focused on consumer level products.  For the Designjet you may have better results posting in the HP Designjet forum here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation