Emptying the F drive (1859 Views)
Honor Student
ottohal
Message 1 of 4 (1,859 Views)

Emptying the F drive

HP Pavilion 6645a, Windows 7, 64 bit.

I keep getting an error message that my F drive is full. Disc Cleanup fails to fix the problem, in fact, it shows there is nothing in the F drive. However, when I select F drive properties it shows that the drive is full (but no files are showing up - the files appear to be hidden). How do I clean up the F drive?

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 4 (1,826 Views)

Re: Emptying the F drive

OttoHal,

You failed to mention if "F" is your Recovery Drive.  If it is the Recovery Drive and you do manage to get into it and you take anything out of it... well, you won't be able to use it for Recovery if you system goes sideways someday in the future...

I don't know how you have your Explorer Window set up, you need to "view" those hidden files.

• Open an Explorer Window
  • Click Organize > Folder and Search Options > View > Hidden Files and folders >
  • CLICK on "Show hidden files, folders, and drives"
  • UNCHECK "Hide Protected Operating system files"
  • OK

Check the "F" drive contents.  

NOTE:  Once you are done checking the "F" Drive, go back and undo the folder changes, they are not recommended for most users.

Be careful.

It is my pleasure to assist.

Say “Thanks!” by clicking the Kudos Star to show your appreciation for the help.

Fixed?  Mark this Post “Accept as Solution” to help others find the answers.

Note: You can find “Accept as Solution” only on threads started by you.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
ottohal
Message 3 of 4 (1,820 Views)

Th F drive is not my recovery drive (that is labelled the D drive). It shows up in explorer as BFRD-DRIVE (F:smileyhappy:. Still getting my error message "running out of space on the F drive". No files showing, even when I tell it to show hidden files, but "properties" indicates that the drive is nearly full.

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 4 (1,819 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hmm.. Do you have any external drives attached to your system anywhere? 

Buffalo drive?

It might be a permissions problem (that you cannot see the data).  If this is an NAS device with it's own primitive OS, it may need for you to log in and tell it that you are authorized to see the data (and have control of it).

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation