Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

**Forgot to put a checkmark on the - Email me when someone replies - section**

Hello,

I am helping a friend fix an error message received at bootup - Error: "Disk boot failure, enter system disk and press enter". Pressing F9: Diagnostics - results in All tests Passing except the Boot Path: Error Code - BIOHD-2  Warning: No drives detected.

System:

HP Pavilion Slimline Mod. s3307c - Prod. # GZ727AA-ABA

Windows Vista Home Premium

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - 320 GB HDD - P/N 9BJ13G-622

I have also:

-Checked to make sure there are no disks in the Atapi DVD Drive

-Tried a different SATA cable - and double checked that all cables are connected correctly.

-Called 800-HP-INVENT - they confirmed that it was no longer In-Warranty and directed me to their website - hp.com/go/support - got frustrated there then came across this HP Support Forum.

The Boot Menu option does not even list a HDD - it only lists the DVD drive.

F11: System Recovery - goes back to the same Disk boot failure...screen

The pc was purchased in 2008.

How the heck does the avg. person know how to fix this??

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

May be an issue with the CD/DVD drive as HERE There are several different drives / Firmware listed on the driver page Here Check BIOS to determine which drive you have. Or, if you have another machine with a drive that you could use temporarily to try the Recovery? Doesn't even have to be installed, I have simply hooked up a DVD drive to cables and used it.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

In all honesty, it appears the drive has failed. The only way to test if the drive is good is to

plug it into a different pc. And sice the warranty is no longer valid, you can test whatever you want.

No drives being detected anywhere = no boot path. Thus the drive crashed/failed.

Looks like you may have to get a new drive. Oh, and one more question.

If you were to look into the BIOS screen, does it detect the drive or no? If not, the drive died.

Please thank me if I helped solve your problem or gave you useful information!
Printer: HP LaserJet P2015
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

No, it is not even detected in the BIOS.

There are over 1000 songs on there - Whats the best way to recover those, if any?

I will definitely send you Cudos! 🙂

HP Recommended

This doesn't sound good. Try clearing the CMOS. Then reboot back into the bios and see if the bios recognizes your hard drive. If not, then you probably need a new hard drive. If yes, then try to boot up normally.

If the hard drive is bad then it might not be possible to recover the data. Your local PC repair shop can try to recover the data for you.

There is a possibility that the drive power cable is bad.  Can you hear the drive spin up?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

I took out the battery - and put it back in - same issue - no hdd recognized.

I do hear the drive spinning.

In order to recover the data, I would need to slave it to another desktop ( I assume any model?) that has

the same Operating System - correct?

HP Recommended

No need to even install it in another desktop unless that is what you prefer. An adapter such as This can be used to plug the hdd into another machine via usb port. A machine with XP,Vista or 7 should be able to copy the files off the hdd.

HP Recommended

Great suggestion - I will purchase that converter.

2 more questions:

Where could I purchase a new hdd?

And after I buy it, how do I install the OS without a CD?

Man, pc's aren't very User friendly.  : (

HP Recommended

Tigerdirect has hdds too.;) 320GB You can order it along with the adpter for old hdd. Or any local Best Buy,Staples,etc carries SATA hdds.

So I guess Recovery Disks were never burned using the software on the PC? You can order Recovery Media from HP for around $20 HERE

HP Recommended

No, recovery disks were never created.

HP does not show Recovery Media available for Windows Vista 64-bit.

It is available for Windows Vista.

But, just to make sure...The tags on the pc say it has an AMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual core processor 4200+

Does that mean I had Windows Vista 64-bit OS? Or, just Windows Vista Operating System?

HP Recommended

Also, is Western Digital any better than Seagate?

From what I saw on Tiger Direct - the Seagates come with a 3 yr. warranty - which I guess is not bad for $50.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.