Question

Student
farasha32
Message 1 of 5 (2,973 Views)

Error: Missing operating system

I am receiving an error message; Missing operating system; when rebooting an 

HP Pavilion Slimline s3123w Desktop PC. What should I do?

Dean
Vidya
Message 2 of 5 (2,966 Views)

Re: Error: Missing operating system

Please perform the troubleshooting steps given in the following weblink:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00899280&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc...

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Vidya

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 5 (2,956 Views)

That is a sign of possible hard drive problems.  First, look in the BIOS like it suggests in the link from Vidya.  If all looks good there, did someone change the configuration of the computer like a USB hard drive?  Unplug all USB devices that are not needed and may not have been there before. See if that helps.  If not, See here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

That way files that are important can be retrieved and saved just in case things do not go as planned.  Then that will also tell if the drive is still really functioning.  If you get that far come back for further help.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Student
sdjailall1
Message 4 of 5 (2,672 Views)

everytime i reboot my hp CQ61z-300 i keep seeying a message missing operating system...can someone please help me with this...thanks

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 5 of 5 (2,665 Views)

Did you try the steps in my post directly above your post?

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation