Question

Honor Student
c3eagles
Message 1 of 17 (34,891 Views)

Error: The System Fan Has Failed!

Error Message on Boot-up

I am running an HP Pavilion a1730n, with Vista Home Premium

Occasionally on Boot-up, I get the error message…

“Error: The System Fan Has Failed!

Service PC to prevent damage to the system.

Press <F2> to Continue”

I have checked all fans and have found no problem, both while the message is present and during normal operation.

My questions, why do I get the error message and where does the message originate?

3eagles

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 17 (34,888 Views)

Re: Error: The System Fan Has Failed!

[ Edited ]

The BIOS monitors fans using sensors on the motherboard. It could be that the case fan is not turning at the RPM's that it originally did and is giving the message .Or it could simply be a glitch in the sensor, have seen that before.

You could install a monitoring app which reports temps, fan speeds and other info.You can keep an eye on temps to see if they are rising when you get the warning,and also fan speeds.

Running it when no warning is received will give you something to compare with after a warning message.If you see no differences, then you will know it is likely just a sensor error. If on the other hand you see the fan really isn't spinning as fast as normal, it may be time to look into replacing the fan.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
c3eagles
Message 3 of 17 (34,883 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the post. The error occurs on the first boot-up, so the system is cool, also, I have checked the fans and they appear ok. If the problem is in the BIOS, what corrective action if any can be taken. I have the latest version.

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 17 (34,865 Views)

If the problem is only a BIOS error, you could enter BIOS setup and see if you have the option to turn off monitoring fans...some have it/some don't.

It may not actually be a BIOS error but as I mentioned_a faulty sensor on the motherboard giving a wrong reading. It could also be that the fan is taking a bit too long to ramp up to proper PRM's on a cold boot.

I wouldn't change anything without using the monitor I linked to above and first monitoring fan speeds for a while, just to rule out a wearing fan.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
c3eagles
Message 5 of 17 (34,852 Views)

Thanks, I am following your suggestion downloading the monitoring software.

Honor Student
wicked_tj
Message 6 of 17 (34,807 Views)

try this doc id:c00013522

The only thing that cannot be carried throughout our life is "Grudge"
Master's Graduate
sumsolstice
Message 7 of 17 (34,782 Views)

The error could be caused by a few things

1) Fan not moving

2) Fan moving, but not up to speed.

Usually - 1, 2 can be caused by dirt/fluff in the system

3) Disconnected fans

4) Swapped fan connectors when reconnecting mb cables

5) A problem with a BIOS update, where the fan settings got mis-set

6) Changing the BIOS default settings in setup

7) Somehow - the DMI info (aka tattoo) was wiped out- by trying to use a 3rd party BIOS.  The system reads the DMI information to see what the default setting should be (enabled/disabled, etc).

I'd try downloading/installing the latest BIOs update.  That will also tell the BIOS to load the default values - that may help.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software9/COL20754/pv-54579-1/sp35159.exe

If it doesn't - there may be a BIOS setting for disabling the fan monitoring - most likely in the advanced settings menu.  I can't remember the BIOS screens for this particular machine...

Hope this helps.   Hope you have a Happy New Year

-dm (an HP employee, but the time/comments here are my own, not those of HP)

-DM (HP Retiree)

NOTE: If this helps you or solved your problem - please say thanks by clicking the white kudos star on the left.

If you think this would also help others, please mark 'Accept as Solution' to help them find it easier.
Honor Student
eagleflite1
Message 8 of 17 (34,291 Views)

I have the same error on the same PC model and my BIOS have nothing for the fans. That link for the BIOS update, is that for my particular model?

Honor Student
eagleflite1
Message 9 of 17 (34,290 Views)

I have also downloaded the CPUID HW monitor and CPU-Z.

Tutor
slhall
Message 10 of 17 (34,275 Views)

That happin to me one time, i seen that the fan on my cpu would be starting off slowly.  Turns out it was getting old and weak.  i put a new fan on the cpu and it was good to go after that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation