Question

Honor Student
MaryE51
Message 1 of 34 (13,122 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ethernet Controller driver?

Formatted harddrive after virus, and keep getting the yellow exclamation for Ethernet Controller. Have WinXP Home installed on Presario 5000 tower, and have tried uninstalling, but computer doesn't acknowledge the connection.

Have tried downloading drivers(using an alternate computer and putting on disks) but those drivers have no effect.

Can anyone help?

Thank you.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 34 (13,103 Views)

Re: Ethernet Controller driver?

Hi, Mary:

Normally you need to install the network card drivers manually from the device manager. I was looking for network card drivers for the Presario 5000 and there are several models that come up. I selected one Presario 5000 model and there was a set of original network drivers in a drop down menu. That package executes and installs a folder on your PC that contains a few possible network card drivers. You can try the drivers in each of the folders and see what happens. What you need to do is click on your ethernet controller device in the device manager and on the driver tab, click on  update driver and do the manual install method. Browse to the folder where the drivers unpacked on your hard drive (normally C:/SWSETUP and the folder number of the driver pack you downloaded. Then browse to the network card driver folders and click next and see if the drivers get installed. You may get lucky on the first try or you may have to try the drivers in each folder unless you know exactly which network card your PC has.

If you are still unable to load the drivers, please post back the device ID string of letters and numbers found on the device details tab for your ethernet controller starting from the beginning and ending to but not including &SUBSYS. The VEN will tell  us the manufacturer of the network card and the DEV will tell us the device type.

Paul

Provost
CherylG
Message 3 of 34 (13,089 Views)

Locating Model Number

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
MaryE51
Message 4 of 34 (13,080 Views)

Paul, thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestions.  Just in case, the model number is Presario 5uvm11.  Got it from my brother, and am trying to get it back online. Having to use my old dell to access online sites right now...very slow go...

Thanks again, will let you know how the suggestions work....

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 5 of 34 (13,079 Views)

Hi, Mary:

I looked that model number up, and here is the link to the driver page.:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=24052...

I checked all operating systems and there are no network card drivers. That leads me to believe this model did not come with an integrated network card, or an add on card either.

I am thinking your brother added a network card to the PC. I beleive you are going to need to post the string of characters with the instructions I gave above. Is the network card located where the add on PCI slots are?  If so, it is an add on.  If it is located on the side of the computer where the keyboard, mouse and other stuff goes, then it is an integrated network card.

Paul

Honor Student
MaryE51
Message 6 of 34 (13,072 Views)

Paul, this is a tower unit, the ethernet jack is in the back, and is connected right into the motherboard.

The string of characters reads as follows:  PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3106&SUBSYS_01051106&REV_8B\3&61AAA01&0&18

sorry to be a pain, but I am a trial and error type person, and so far all I've gotten out of my trials is errors!!!

thanks again.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 7 of 34 (13,064 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Mary:

The Vendor and Device ID's reveal this is a VIA Rhine network adapter.

Try this driver. I believe it is a self extracting, self installing driver too.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=ob-101...

Let's hope this is the one!

If that doesn't work, try this one: Click on the Download Now Green Button on the upper left of the page (3.15 MB).

http://download.cnet.com/VIA-Rhine-Family-Fast-Ethernet-Adapter-Driver-zip/3000-2112_4-149847.html

Paul

Honor Student
MaryE51
Message 8 of 34 (13,044 Views)

Thank you, thank you!  The first of those drivers worked(once I figured out that I had to move them to a temp file..)

I can now go online and get the rest of the required updates.

You have been a great help.

M.E.

Student
jayoutcast77
Message 9 of 34 (8,573 Views)

I have an HP dx5150 MT Tower that I reinstalled windows xp pro on and now I cant find the ethernet controller. Can anyone help?

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 10 of 34 (8,570 Views)

Hi, Jay:

Click on the ethernet controller in the device manager.  Then click on the Details tab.

Post the top string of characters you see.

Those will identify the model of the network controller and I can send you the link to the drivers.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation