Question

Honor Student
bluejeanbuddha
Message 1 of 18 (4,405 Views)

Formatting hp recovery drive

I made a recovery disc. and now i want to know if its OK to format both C and D (HP Recovery) drives.  I tried to reinstall XP home edition upgrade but during installation it was in a restart loop. but i finally got the problem fixed.

And now i noticed that the D drive has only 6% free space. Also I noticed some programs i installed earlier are on my desktop but will not let me access them. does this mean that they are loaded on the D drive? How can i acces and see files on the D (HP Recovery)drive.  If i do format both drives, can my recovery disk  reinstall all programs and files on both c C and D drives to original  startup?  Thank you

Provost
Big_Dave
Message 2 of 18 (4,396 Views)

Re: Formatting hp recovery drive

The HP recovery disks will restore your hard drive back to a factory fresh condition.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP DV9700, t9300, Nvidia 8600, 4GB, Crucial C300 128GB SSD
HP Photosmart Premium C309G, HP Photosmart 6520
HP Touchpad, HP Chromebook 11
Custom i7-4770k,Z-87, 8GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650,GTX 760
Custom i7-4790k,Z-97, 16GB, Vertex 3 SSD, Plextor M.2 SSD, Samsung EVO SSD, Corsair HX650, GTX 660TI
Windows 7/8 UEFI/Legacy mode, MBR/GPT
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 3 of 18 (4,396 Views)

Under ideal conditions, it should be OK to use the D: drive for whatever you like once the Recovery DVD's have been made as when used they will restore the two partitions as to when the computer was new. That does not guarantee that all things work as planned.  Hence the reason to make the Recovery DVD's just in case.  The reason the D: drive shows only 6% free space is because that is the space reserved for just the recovery partition and it is not to be used for anything else(that is why it is protected space) and so there is no need to make it bigger.  Any program trying to use that space should be directed elsewhere.  "I noticed some programs i installed earlier are on my desktop but will not let me access them, does this mean that they are loaded on the D drive" Probably not.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
Intern
astrobilia
Message 4 of 18 (4,385 Views)

T.O.M :

My 6240F only has 55 Meg open - In the Fonts sub-directory there are 2 large file pairs that appear to be "JAP" and "KOR" RTF files that I assume are for Japanese and Korean fonts.

Is that so and can I delete them to gain space?

Thaks

Another "TOM" in GA  :-)

Intern
astrobilia
Message 5 of 18 (4,381 Views)

T.O.M:

Here is a scan of the Fonts directory. The red arrows show already deleted 2nd copies, but the JAP and KOR ones can be seen in the JPG. - CAN they be deleted?

http://www.pixtoshare.net/d_drive_boot-Fonts.jpg

I have managed to go from 7 Meg to 55 Meg free by also deleting almost 800 other (2) dupes!

Why deleting all those large duplicate Font Dupes did not raise my D Drive free space is a mystery!

Tom

Honor Student
bluejeanbuddha
Message 6 of 18 (4,369 Views)

Thanks ever so much for the info. cross your fingers and hope all goes well. Have a Buddha-ful Day!!!
Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 7 of 18 (4,348 Views)

Remember the D: drive is the Recovery partition and should not be used for any other purpose.  Messing with anything on that partition could disable the ability to restore the computer to factory settings and is therefore NOT recommended.

Do not worry about free space on the D: drive, unless Windows is warning about free space.  If that happens , then something is writing to the D: drive that should not be.

Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

Intern
astrobilia
Message 8 of 18 (4,338 Views)

TheOldMan wrote:

Remember the D: drive is the Recovery partition and should not be used for any other purpose.  Messing with anything on that partition could disable the ability to restore the computer to factory settings and is therefore NOT recommended.

Do not worry about free space on the D: drive, unless Windows is warning about free space.  If that happens , then something is writing to the D: drive that should not be.

yes, it is warning about low disk space - had to turn warning off.

I AM very cautious about deleting/modifying anything there! That's why I ask. :-)

What historically caused this was that I had a P6210F that was dying and made a default backup to exterior HD.

when received the P6240F and set it up, applied that backup and that's when all the (2) (duplicate files) appeared in the D: drive directories. - Space remaing  became 6.9 MEG - Deleting all (2) dupes (exact same times and sizes) brought free space up  to 55 Meg, still with warning.

I can find nothing writing to the D: drive.

Again, a question: would deleting the JAP and KOR RTF  fonts be a problem if never to be used. :-)

Thanks!

Tom

Intern
astrobilia
Message 9 of 18 (4,311 Views)

Sorry:  RTF should be TTF for those fonts. Typo? ;-)

Tom

Regents Professor
TheOldMan
Message 10 of 18 (4,293 Views)

I cannot answer the question about the fonts but look here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01508532&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

About the low disk space warning

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation