Re: HP 110-210 Desktop PC,no boot Linux Ubuntu 12.04.3LTS 64-bit (350 Views)
Honor Student
JoanieH
Message 1 of 4 (450 Views)

HP 110-210 Desktop PC,no boot Linux Ubuntu 12.04.3LTS 64-bit

I just obtained a second HP110 series computer. When I installed Linux 12.04.3LTS-64bit for AMD, I now get the following:

>>Checking for media......

>>Media found......

>>Start PXE over IPv4

The computer will still boot from the Linux disk, but I want it to boot from the HD.

I have tried several reloads of the OS and no go.

Head-desk...

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 2 of 4 (356 Views)

Re: HP 110-210 Desktop PC,no boot Linux Ubuntu 12.04.3LTS 64-bit

[ Edited ]

Hey JoanieH

the only thing I can think of would be secure boot, with secure boot enabled you can only boot from UEFI capable devices. So you would need to disable Secure boot, and enable Legacy support. This is how the defaults look.

SecureBoot.png

Once you disable Secure Boot and Enable Legacy support - you'll reboot and the PC will ask you to confirm that YOU made the changes and you have to physiallcy type in a randomly generated 4 digit code... it will be displayed on the screen... even though it would be much more fun to not display it and make you guess what it was... :smileywink:

Once you do that it should allow for non-UEFI aware devices (LINUX and other Legacy boot devices) to boot. I hope...

good luck

bill

I'm a HP employee

Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you
Honor Student
JoanieH
Message 3 of 4 (350 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Ibfrenchy,

I'll have to give this a try. Right now the computer is restored to the OEM OS and configuration and I bought this computer as a gift for a dear friend who can not afford to buy a new computer. We now have the restore disks and back ups of the files he needed to retain from an older Linux machine that was no longer supported after Ubuntu 10.10.

I'll give it a try and see if this works. It sounds logical. I retired about the time that support for Windows XP was just starting to be replaced by Windows 7. I have an HP 110-014 that came with Windows 8.0 and no UEFI and I loaded Ubuntu 12.04LTS with the Windows installer and ran it without a hitch. However the HP110-210 came with Windows 8.1 and UEFI and this is where things kind'a went to pieces.

I'll get in contact with the owner and see if he is up to allowing me to try the Linux install again. I still have the .iso boot disk for the Ubuntu 12.04 install, in 64 bit, so I can give it another try. If worse comes to worse, I can always go back to Windows 8.1. I know that one can not use the Windows installer with the UEFI CMOS so I guess I'll have to do a complete install with the flavor he wants

Thanks for the info. Thinking back on what happened before, I think that this just might be the magic bullet. I'll update after I give it the old college try.

That was quite a snark to suggest that we guess the 4-digit code to confirm the install of a legacy OS. At my age, I might not live long enough to go 10K reboots! :smileyhappy:

Joanie

Master's Graduate
ibfrenchy
Message 4 of 4 (343 Views)

:smileyvery-happy: I'm kind of a goofball that way :smileywink:

others here will tell you, but I try to have fun and I hope this works for ya.

good luck

bill

I'm a HP employee

Please post rather than sending a Private Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly.- Thank you
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation