Re: HP 1394 firewire no longer works (68 Views)
Tutor
daveva
Message 1 of 8 (130 Views)

HP 1394 firewire no longer works

I have a hp pavilion elite HPE-580t running windows 7 . It has a firewire port that I connect my Sony HDV camera to to download movies to Sony movie studio platinum 12. My problem is that after a driver upgrade from powermax it no longer works. So I go to devices to roll back the driver but I can't identify  the port. Tried to do a system restore but it had several restore points before but now only has two which are listed as backups and says it can't find backup. Thanks in advance for any help. Oh and by the way when your out of warranty hp is no help at all.

Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 2 of 8 (118 Views)

Re: HP 1394 firewire no longer works

Hi ! You might give this a try! Found this on Cummunity Search:smileywink:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01905332

Tutor
daveva
Message 3 of 8 (98 Views)

Thanks for the reply. After trying all the suggestions  nothing seems to verify that there is a IEEE 1394 fire wire port on my computer. All of the host controllers are updated. I think that is the problem and I need to roll back that driver update . Again the only problem is that I can't identify it. As I stated before that I was going to do a system restore but the only date that shows is 1-25-2014 the other dates are for backup and when chosen says the backup drive cannot be found. Is there a way to find different restore points other than choose a different restore point ?

Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 4 of 8 (95 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi! I don't know of any other way to find a restore point. I use them on occasions, but your best bet is to create a image of your OS with a 3rd party software. I use Macrium Reflect. There are several good programs that will get the job done.It's to bad that you can't roll back the driver. There are some really smart people here on the HP forum. Maybe they will be able to give you better advise. I can't believe the link I provided didn't solve your problem.

Dokie

PS I'm wondering why you don't have more restore points! I have my PC set to save 12 before it delets one.

Capture48.JPG

Tutor
daveva
Message 5 of 8 (72 Views)

Thanks for your reply.  Its been awhile since I last was able to respond to your post because of an extended hospital stay. My next option I believe is to get a firewire card but I can't seem to locate the right card for my computer.  I was wondering if this would solve my problem. My system is an HP Pavilion Elite 580t windows 7. How do you set more restore points ?

Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 6 of 8 (68 Views)

Hi I don't know about firewire cards, sorry!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/create-a-restore-point

Tutor
daveva
Message 7 of 8 (55 Views)

Ok problem solved with new firewire card. Finally contacted HP support and after trouble shooting the he found the port but when trying to get windows to recognize it windows crashed. Just installed the card and now able to use.

Master's Graduate
Dokie
Message 8 of 8 (50 Views)

That's great! Thanks for the feed back. Happy computing.

Dokie!:smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation