Question

Student
cstj
Message 1 of 3 (731 Views)

HP ENVY 700xt Desktop PC -- Removing Win8.1

Two months ago I talked my 84 year old mother into ditching her old PC (running XP) & purchasing a new desktop.  After informing the HP Sales Rep of her needs he recommended (& we purchased) the HP ENVY 700xt Desktop, a 23" Monitor, & 3 year support.  The system & components is as follows:   

HP ENVY 700xt Desktop PC

• Windows 8.1 64
  • 4th Generation Intel ® Core ™ i7-4770 quad-core processor [3.4GHz, 8MB Shared Cache]
  • Intel HD Graphics [DVI-D]
  • 8GB DDR-3-1600MHz [2 DIMM]
  • 1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
  • No Secondary HDD
  • Microsoft Office Trial
  • Security Software Trial
  • SuperMulti DVD Burner
  • 15-in-1 Multi-slot Media Card Reader, 4 USB Ports (Front/Top), Audio [Front 2USB2.0, Top 2USBB3.0]
  • No TV Tuner Card
  • Integrated Sound, Envy Audio, Beats Audio
  • HP USB keyboard and optical mouse with volume control
  • Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth ® (1x1)
  • 300W Power Supply

HP W2371d 23-inch LEDBacklit LCD Monitor

HP 3y 3d Onsite Envy 2y DT HW Support

Over the last 2 months her excitement & eagerness to learn a new system has turned to agony.   Since the system was delivered on Oct 30th she's spent hours upon hours reading & listening to tutorials trying to learn Win8.1 & when time allows her 2 sons (both engineers), 3 grandchildren, & myself (all using Windows 7) have all been trying to educate ourselves so we can help her.  As it stands now everyone is beyond frustrated. 

Different reps at HP Support have given her the following recommendations:  Purchase a 90 day Subscription to Win8  Technology Training Course / Purchase a different monitor – they recommend the HP Pavilion 23tm 23-inch Diagonal Touch (& since it’s been over 21 days they will not take back the one they sold her 2 months ago) / Be more patient & learn the system. 

I’ve come to the conclusion that expecting an 84 yr old woman who was proficient in XP to now learn Win8.1 is just way too much to presume -- the learning curve is just too steep.  I’ve decided to put an end to this torture & install (have installed) Win7 Home Premium (system I have).  I called PC Warehouse & for $100 they will install it.  I have also spoken to 3 different reps at HP & all say this will not void the warranty or the 3 year Onsite Support she purchased.   

Though I’ve been researching this for weeks I’ve been afraid to take the leap without being better informed as to what I’m getting her into (again!)  I’ve been reading here & on other sites that Bios settings will need to be changed, special drivers needed, etc. She’s already spent $1,200 on the above system & components I figure spending $100 to have PC Warehouse do the install & deal with any problems is well worth it. 

Is there anything in particular I should be asking?  Anything I’m overlooking?  I’d love to have this done within the next week so she can begin enjoying her new PC. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. 

Provost
lasvegaswireman
Message 2 of 3 (726 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 700xt Desktop PC -- Removing Win8.1

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the side, back, or bottom of your computer. Please do not include your serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and/or post it here for our review.

****Disclaimer*****

HP doesn't recommend the installation of Windows 7 on a computer shipped with Windows 8, nor will it support the installation of Windows 7. HP will not provide Windows 7 drivers and suitable drivers may not be available for the hardware in the computer. Also, Windows 7 may not support some of the hardware or software features designed for the computer.

Make sure you create your HP Recovery Discs or USB Flash Recovery media before modifying or changing ANYTHING.

You will need to DISABLE "Secure Boot" and maybe ENABLE "Legacy Support" in the "BIOS Secure Boot cofiguration" on the settings page shown below, before you can attempt to install Windows 7;

or

Select Enabled

Additionally, as the hard drive may be partitioned as GPT, you may have to boot the computer using the "UEFI - CD/DVD drive" or "UEFI - USB Flash drive" options in the "F9" boot menu. If "UEFI - CD/DVD drive",  "UEFI - USB Flash drive" or something to that effect doesn't exist in the boot menu, please post a screen shot and/or descibe the listed boot options.

I suggest using Windows 7 SP1 for the best intallation experience. If you need Windows SP1, please see "How to Install Windows 7 Without the Disc" to download and create your own Windows 7 SP1 disc. If the DVD refuses to boot as UEFI, you may need to use a USB Flash drive (may require DISABLING "Fast Boot" in the BIOS) as the installation media. Please download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool to create a Windows 7 SP1 USB Flash drive. Please note that some computers may not recognize a valid UEFI enabled USB Flash drive if it is formated as NTFS and may require a FAT32 formatted USB Flash drive. You should be able to make a FAT32 formatted Windows 7 installation USB Flash drive using RufusUNetbootin, Universal USB Installer, or WiNToBootic. I like Rufus, as it has options for "GPT partition scheme for UEFI computer" and "FAT32".

If you still have missing or unknown devices after installing Windows 7, please post the Windows Device Manager's "Hardware Ids" for those devices as shown in the example below;

device manager.png

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank
{------------ Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping.
Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my assistance has solved your issue. ------------V

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP.

HP 15t-j100 (on loan from HP)
HP 13 Split x2 (on loan from HP)
HP Slate8 Pro (on loan from HP)
HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
Student
maxit
Message 3 of 3 (708 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 700xt Desktop PC -- Removing Win8.1

i  am  83  and  also  hate  that  windows 8  that olnly  serves  to  make  money  and  get  all  info  from  you  at  MS  and  others  headquarters. My  silotion:  an app  for  deakpage and  thean it  is  just  like  before  .  forget  all  the  other  apps

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation