Question

Top Student
survivor78
Message 1 of 11 (5,001 Views)

HP MediaSmart main program has stopped working

Hello all,

I have a HP Elite 127-c desktop. I recently had to do a factory reinstall to scratch. (I made a boo-boo! :smileyindifferent:) Everything seems back to normal but I had the HP Advisor not working error; after perusing these fora I found a link to the latest Advisor software, installed it and that problem was fixed. However, before and after that fix MediaSmart Music/Photo/Video attempts to start but almost immediately throws an error that says "MediaSmart (Music/Photo/Video, depending on which I choose) Main Program has stopped working". Windows does it's requisite search for "solutions" (of which it finds none. No surprise) and then I must click "Close" to close the program. A HP chat tech pointed me to the latest version on the web (ftp, actually) and I installed that over the top. Same problem. I then uninstalled the program, rebooted, did a registry clean with JV16 Power Tools, rebooted again and then reinstalled using Recovery Manager. Same problem.

Before my reset to factory this software worked well. It is not a matter of life or death, but, considering it is HP software, and puts things like Rhapsody and Pandora among other applets in a nice convenient place, I would like to get it to work again without yet another factory reset if possible.

Any ideas??

Scott

HP 127-c w/ 2509m monitor

8 GB RAM

1 TB HDD

NVIDIA gt220 video card w/ 1GB VRAM

400 GB Seagate external HDD

2 TB Segate GoFlex Desk external HDD

HP Photosmart c309-a printer

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life

BUT

They Make Our Life Whole.
Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 2 of 11 (4,948 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart main program has stopped working

Hi, I found this issue happened after unchecked .NET Framework entry in Turn Windows Features on or off Window in Programs and Features window.

Try the folllowing steps to fix this issue. Enable .NET Framework in Turn Windows Features on or of window. Restart and check if the issue is fixed. If not.,

.NET Framework Cleanup Tool: http://quicken.intuit.com/qkn/cms/download-install-updates/cleanup_tool.exe Click Yes to run the Installation Cleanup Utility. Read the Microsoft Software License Agreement for Unreleased Microsoft Software, and then click Yes. Click .NET Framework - All Versions, and then click Cleanup Now Perform Windows Updates to install .NET Framework again.

If the issue persists, uninstall all MediaSmart entries from Programs and Features. Click Start->All Programs-Software Program Installation. Select each MediaSmart entry and click Next to install them.

Good Luck, KIran Talluri

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
survivor78
Message 3 of 11 (4,912 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

I have turned on the .Net framework portions that werene't already turned on by checking Windows Communication Foundation HTTP and Non-HTTP Activation checkboxes that weren't already on. Reboot, still no joy. I then downloaded and ran the cleanup utility as suggested, rebooted and still no joy. As far as uninstalling and reinstalling the software I am assuming you mean by using the Recovery Manager seeing as there is no Software Program Installation entry on the Start menu. In Recovery Manager there is one entry for Media Smart listed as HP Media Smart /TouchSmart Music/Video/Photo. There are also entries for MediaSmart Menu and MediaSmart DVD. the DVD player works.

Also, after uninstalling .Net (the tool said cleanup was successful) I stil see entries in the Windows Features in Programs and Features and Windows Update does not seem to find .Net again. So far all other programs seem to work (those that I've tried). Is there a better way to see if .Net is actually installed or not?

BUT

Top Student
survivor78
Message 4 of 11 (4,908 Views)

Something else I just found: Using HP's performance and Configuration History module in Hardware Diagnostic tools there are Critical Events listed for each time I try to run MediaSmart. They all list CLNetMediaCDS.dll v.1.1.0.5815 as the faulting module.

BUT

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 5 of 11 (4,864 Views)

Hi,

Please uninstall HP MediaSmart MVP from Programs and Features in Control Panel. 

Download and install new version from the URL given below. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47501-48000/sp47676.exe

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
Top Student
survivor78
Message 6 of 11 (4,842 Views)

Well,

I did uninstall the MVP program completely, rebooted, did a reg clean, rebooted again, and reinstalled using the file downloaded from the link you provided. Still "MediaSmart main Program has stopped working". The two times I have tried it since have both closed program and allowed me to send "information" to Microsoft to "find a solution". I was able to copy a couple of temp files that the error box told me about before closing the last time, (because if the program closes, the temp files disappear immediately!) that were generated during the crash. One is a .txt file with hundreds of lines of what look like mostly information about parts of the MediSmart programs, version numbers, locations and the like. '

Also in the Performance and Configuration messages I again see the same module faulting as I reported above.

BUT

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 7 of 11 (4,813 Views)

Hi,

It is unfortunate that the solutions provided did not work.

Install the Patch given below for HP Software Framework.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48431.exe

Go to Programs and Features, uninstall all MediaSmart Applications.

Click Start->All Programs->Recovery Manager, click Software Driver Installation, select each MediaSmart entry, and click Install.  Restart the PC, and check if the issue has fixed, if not.

Click Start->type MSCONFIG in search Field, press Enter, go to Services Tab, select 'Hide Microsoft Services' at bottom, select/Check all Services listed there, click Apply/Ok.

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Top Student
survivor78
Message 8 of 11 (4,807 Views)

tried to run patch as requested, but Windows states that this software is not compatible with this OS. Also tried manually starting HP Framework service in Computer Management, but that didn't work either. It is set to Manual. Also, I'm still not sure about having removed .NET, because even though the cleaner said it was successful I still think .NET is still installed based on I still see services for .NET 2.0 listed, and as before it is still listed in Windows and Features. Honestly, I think I'm done for now, I may just completely uninstall the MVP portion of MediSmartbecause I do like the Netflix app that does work, and the DVD player also works. It is simply becoming too time consuming to try and fix a program that did work before adn that I can get (and do have) alternatives to what MediaSmart provides.

Thanks for your help, and feel free to post anything that might cross your mind, or another diagnostic tool, perhaps , that will help me; it has been my experience that when something like this happens it may be a symptom of a larger problem (I hope not!), so if I can fix it, it would be nice.

Scott

BUT

Student
joetree
Message 9 of 11 (4,730 Views)

Thanks for your help you were right on target. The reason I wanted to uninstall HP MediaSmart was to see if that was the reason why my NERO MediaHub, NeroVision, and NeroBackup 10 would shut down when I tried to start them. Yes, that was the problem!  Now that I have all of MediaSmart uninstalled my Nero Multimedia 10 works great. Sorry about that HP Thanks again

Master's Graduate
KiranTalluri
Message 10 of 11 (4,729 Views)

That was great. You did it.  I appreciate your efforts and patience with this issue.

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation