Question

Honor Student
josephvalenti
Message 1 of 4 (1,338 Views)

HP PAVILLION P6654Y DESKTOP built in wireless card show enabled even after I enable it.

HP P6654Y PAVILLION MAGNESIUM GRAY

i have used my wireless in the past successfully.

I am usually direct connected via the ehternet cable.

I recently tried to re-enable my wireless when traveling to illinois for 1 year, and it remains in a disabled state even after windows say's ENABLED.

the pc does not find any network connections available yet i am using the wi-fi network in the hgotel with my laptop right now and there are at least 5 networks around me from surronding hotels too.

When i try to do a manual connect to a network, i click on the selection and the pc say';s "an unexpected error occurred".

This pc has a onboard wirelss card, not a mini pci card. it also has a antenae which i have plugged ina nd screwed on.

on the side of the box it says i have WIRELESS LAN 802.11b/g/n

driver genius software say's it is a RALINK 802n wireless lan card

i need to figure out why it remains disabled even after enabling it in device manager and also via the network adapter screen.

can someone point in the direction of an updated driver? mine say's it is from 2009.

Thank You

Joseph Valenti

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 4 (1,325 Views)

Re: HP PAVILLION P6654Y DESKTOP built in wireless card show enabled even after I enable it.

Have you tried setting it up in Network & Sharing Center? The machine may still be looking for the ethernet connection ,have also seen ethernet disable wireless so try that and see if any results,

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
josephvalenti
Message 3 of 4 (1,322 Views)

Re: HP PAVILLION P6654Y DESKTOP built in wireless card show enabled even after I enable it.

Thanks for helping me!

I tried that solution in all of the different varieties, but it did not work.

I have tried most everything I could think of ....

I uninstalled the wireless and lan driver.

I reinstalled the original drivers (wireless and pci realtek) from hp website, one at a time, trying wireless with each step.

I disabled the ethernet adapter and tried the wireless adapter.

there seems to be somethign wrong with windows operating system, in my opinion, since when i try to setup the manual connection i get 'an unexpected error occurred'. 

Also the adapter card - Wireless 801n LAN card saying that it is DISABLED even after I enable it and it tells me 'enabling' and then 'enabled' leads me to beleive that 1 or more programs are corrupted.

Also, Even when i have no adapter cards installed, i disabled them in the system bios on the system board, the computer was still trying to find a wireless network.

next...

I need to figure out how to uninstall all the network software, and then have it re-installed so that the files will be recopied (and hopefully correct the corrupted one).

I am currently backing my data up to my external HD - shoudl take about 7-9 hours to backup 300 GB.

I am guessing i just need to go and uninstall each of the entreis in the netowrk configuration, reboot, then Install them afterward.

I will also uninstall and resinatll the IPv4 in case its broken.

Anyone else got any ideas?

Joseph Valenti

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 4 (1,319 Views)

[ Edited ]

Right click the device in Device Manager and choose Uninstall.In the window that opens put a check in "delete the driver software".

I would use Recovery Manager in the Start menu to reinstall Wireless driver and ethernet if needed after uninstalling the current drivers

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01868333&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation