Question

Honor Student
ReichenbachX
Message 1 of 7 (1,452 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Pavilion Elite e9220y PC Black Screen with underscore blinking.

Hi there. I have an HP Pavilion Elite e9220y with Windows 7. I have a black screen with a blinking underscore.

I got up and went to the restroom and came back to this (on fiance's laptop atm). If I go on, I can do ctrl + alt + delete and get to everything but system recovery.... so I made off a recovery CD.

In the recovery CD I get the options to do
Startup Repair
System Restore
System Image Recovery

Windows Memory Diagnostic
Command Prompt.

I have everything but my mouse, monitor and keyboard plugged in. No CD's in except for the Recovery CD.

Startup Repair found nothing, so I tried to do System Restore... it said it restored to an earlier date but I get the same screen and same options.... So then I tried the following steps:

Boot from the Rescue CD again, select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt. When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting now.

The Above still resulted in having the black screen with the blinking underscore with the same options available.... I'm so lost...

If possible, I would love to save my files that I have. I have projects on my computer that I spent extensive hours working on and lots of family photos. BUT if this is not possible (I don't have access to a second tower to back up the files) then I am more than willing to start over... I just want my computer back.. I haven't even had it for three years yet.

Any help to get me back on track would be so greatly appreciated... Thank you in advance.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 7 (1,447 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Elite e9220y PC Black Screen with underscore blinking.

Hi:

You can try the fixboot command and see if that restores your OS to working again.

Please read this on how to run the commands.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Now, I have a way for you to try and retrieve your files first if you can't fix the OS and need to do a system recovery.

Download the free Kapersky rescue CD and use the ISO burning option on your CD burning software to burn to a CD so it is bootable.

Use the graphic interface.  Plug a USB flash drive or portable hard drive into the PC.

You should be able to navigate to your folders and copy the files you want to save to the portable drive.

http://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/rescuedisk

You don't need it to scan for viruses but like I said you can navigate around your hard drive and should be able salvage your files.

Paul

Honor Student
ReichenbachX
Message 3 of 7 (1,446 Views)

[ Edited ]

I tried the /FixBoot command and it popped up as not being recognized as an internal or external command.

I'm not sure how to do system recovery because I believe I already tried and failed over and over again :smileysad:

I don't understand how the /FixBoot doesn't work because it even displays as a code when i type in /Rebuild Bcd... :smileysad:.. I'm so confused

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 4 of 7 (1,436 Views)

I wish I could help you, but if after you read the fairly straightforward instuctions and it doesn't work, then there isn't anything more I can add to it.

So, now you should plan to get into data recovery mode using that disk I posted and save your files.

Then order a set of recovery disks for your PC, by reading the info at the link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

If you want to make your own Windows 7 installation DVD you can do that too by following these instructions below.

You can either make this a permanent fix, or install now and then use your recovery disks should you decide to purchase a set.

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft windows 7 product key, you can download plain Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD for the version of windows that came installed on your PC, and that is listed on the Microsoft COA sticker on your PC's case.

Burn the ISO using the Burn ISO option on your DVD burning program and burn at the slowest possible speed your program will allow. This will create a bootable DVD.

Use the 25 character product key on the PC to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Then go to the PC's support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

Link to the W7 ISO file downloads is below.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Paul

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 7 (1,428 Views)

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Provost
CherylG
Message 6 of 7 (1,426 Views)

You can also remove the hdd and connect it to a> USB Adapter to plug into another machine via usb port to try to retrieve files. I use one of these frequently when working on machines.

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
ReichenbachX
Message 7 of 7 (1,386 Views)

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!!! The Kaspersky Rescue Disk worked perfectly!!! God I'm so happy now lol.. thank you all for your guidance and assistance. Much appreciated!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation